Nov 28, 2006
Hey all,
So I found this old 2.5 gallon gas tank in my garage the other day. It's one of those red plastic ones, shaped like a very large brick, essentially. It's the perfect size and I want to use it, but it's all dirty inside and I'm worried about cleaning it. How do I do that properly? I dont want to have a residue of any sort (soap, water, whatever) left inside that will screw up the gas.

Nov 28, 2006
CHR!S: This isnt a tank for on the bike, it's a portable one, you know with a handle and everything.

76GMC1500: Won't that leave water in the tank? And isnt water in your gas a really bad thing?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Yea, soapy water and rinse it good. Leave the cap off and set it in the sun, probably won't take but a few hours to dry it out. If you look in it and see water, just wait longer!!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
This sounds like a portable gas tank for an outboard motor......

What do you want to use it for?

Since it is plastic you won't have rust issues, but you will sure want to get it clean. These tanks don't cost that much new, and it sure isn't worth messing up a perfectly good carburetor.

You should also note that the portable marine tanks feed from a dip tube on the top and will NOT gravity feed properly. Motorcycles, lawnmowers, etc. all use gravity feed systems that require the tank to be above the carburetor with the tap off the bottom of the tank.

Rod

Nov 28, 2006
Well, yes and no... Its just a gas tank. Like for tossing in the back of the truck and pulling out to pour some gas into the bike when needed. Not a part of an engine or anything!

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
pidro_el_pirata said:
CHR!S: This isnt a tank for on the bike, it's a portable one, you know with a handle and everything.

76GMC1500: Won't that leave water in the tank? And isnt water in your gas a really bad thing?

wow! reading that post again, im wondering how i thought that :bang:
especially how you described it as shaped like a brick

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom