ttrider24

Apr 2, 2006
Just wondering what you guys do to clean your chain. In my manual it says to clean it with kerosene or gas but I just washed it with soap and water and wiped the excess off, then sprayed it with chain lube. It worked but I've heard they can break if they are not properly cleaned and lubed.

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
I pour about a gallon of kerosen in a bucket and let it soak for a couple of hours and then ude a old tooth brush to scrub all the old lube and grime off!! Then I hang it on a nail in mt garage and let it dry for some time( maybe two or three days( that gives the k-1 a good chance to dry, then install, lube and go!! If you don't let the chain dry completely your lube will not last and protect the way it was designed to do !!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
It depends on whether it's an o-ring chain or not. For o-ring chains use a soft bristle brush and degreaser then WD40 it. Make sure you still lube it because the o-rings only keep the pin lubricated. the outer rollers still need it. NEVER spray it with a pressure washer.

On non o-ring chanins I blast the snot out of it with a pressure washer and then hit it with WD40 to chase away the water from inside the chain. The WD40 will protect it enough until you get a chance to properly lube it.

The key is to spray it with WD40 anytime it gets wet to keep it from rusting.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
It will feel stiffer because the o-rings cause some drag on the side plates. It is also wider and you should be able to see the o-rings if you look down between the side plates.

Top Bottom