Cleaning carbon from inside of pipe

RetroDad

Nov 7, 2012
Hey all,

I'm a noob so please forgive any mistakes. I am starting to restore multiple old Yamaha ITs (don't ask). I am cleaning the inside of a Yamaha IT 400 2 stroke exhaust pipe using the caustic soda method. The method requires mixing caustic soda (Drano) with water, filling the pipe, letting it sit and then dumping out the mix and repeating. Seems to be working. Here are my questions: 1. Once I am done since I have used water it seems the inside of the pipe would rust. Is this a problem? 2. Should I coat the inside of the pipe with anything and if so what? 3. Can I coat the inside of the pipe to prevent the rust and if so what? 4. Is there a paint code for the exhaust pipe and engine and if so what is it or better yet where can I find it. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
Don't think so except if you do not ride after the clean out. Premix oil will accumulate a little that way and prevent that.

RetroDad

Nov 7, 2012
Arenego2,

I won't be able to ride the bike and clean out the pipe right away but, duh!, I'll just rinse the pipe out with lean premix, hang it up and let it dry. That should prevent the rust. Thanks for the idea.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Spraying it WD40 will work too. If you do get some rust inside before you get a chance to ride it won't amount to much as long as the inside of the pipe is dry. A hair dryer works good for that.

I wouldn't rinse it with premix, the gas fumes can be nasty.

RetroDad

Nov 7, 2012
WD 40 it is. I was just concerned that the WD 40 wouldn't get all the way into the center of the pipe. I have no idea what the center looks like, whether it has baffles, whether it is hollow, tiny elves shooshing the engine noises....

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
It's hollow with no baffles but I'm convinced that there are elves making ring-a-ding-ding-ding sounds.

If you want to make sure you have good coverage, buy the WD40 by the gallon and pour a cup or so in and swish it around. I stopped buying WD40 in the spray cans a long time ago. It got too expensive.

BTW, I've used oven cleaner with good results on carbon/gunk build up on pipes, power valves, etc and have had good results. Just don't let it sit on aluminum too long.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
RM_guy said:
I wouldn't rinse it with premix, the gas fumes can be nasty.
Sound and SAFE advice. Not sure what part of the country you are in but this time of year many fires are started by simple bad decisions. As we close things up for winter, use something to cut the chill in the air, whala, fire!
BTW, change the batteries in your smoke detectors. Cheap life saving effort!

Top Bottom