aintskeerd

Aug 19, 2004
The stock silencer on my 220 is getting spoogy.

Any advice on how to clean it? It appears to be completely welded, the only access I can see is a screw on the bottom that looks like a drain plug. :think:

Thanks! :cool:

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
If I remember right....the manual says to run the bike up to temp., remove drain hole and tap on muffler to break up carbon deposits, some will fall out drain hole some out of outlet. Others may know better. Joey

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I cleaned the stock silencer on my 88 a few times. It was unbelievable the amount of stuff that came out of that thing. :yikes: I used oven cleaner once, worked good. I brought it to work and let it sit in my solvent tank for 2 days, worked better. I tried gasoline, mineral spirits and lacquer thinner. These three didn't seem to even start to break up the baked on spooge. I read once that someone took their pipe and silencer to an automotive machine shop and had it soaked in the hot tank.

bigal007

Sep 29, 2004
I just picked up a 91 KDX 200 that had little or no maintance.Has a fatty pipe with the stock silencer. Was running real rich. I have never seen anything like it. This one come apart so.......... I broke it down and took my propane torch to all the steel parts. I think alum. would melt. heated them up till they caught fire. pretty much burned all the oil soaked carbon to a black ash making it much easier to get off. nothing else even touched the carbon. cleaned alum. parts with automotive degreaser.Hope this can be of help to someone.

bigal007

Sep 29, 2004
just a few minutes. the parts will actually catch fire from all the oil on them. let them burn till they go out, then just knock off the now softten carbon deposits.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom