jesse_54

Apr 1, 2008
Clutch Rebuild Pics inside!!

Alright so the bike is a 1999 RM125. The problem is when you are in neutral, pulling in the clutch and shift into 1st gear, the bike stalls and lurches forward.

After Taking off the clutch-cover I see that the plates look ok, although I haven't put the caliper on them so I don't know if the thickness of the plates are in spec but they will be getting changed regardless.

The clutch basket was put in before I bought the bike. Its a hinson basket and that piece is in good shape, no grooving whatsoever. Im thinking the previous owner had the same problem and just assumed it was the basket. The inner clutch hub however is pretty chewed up and the "teeth" feel really rough. You should be able to see this is in the pics. I am wondering if the inner hub would be causing the problem.

Also I have adjusted the clutch cable and it never made any difference at all.

Last edited:

jesse_54

Apr 1, 2008
pics

Attachments

• dr1.jpg
    dr1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 238

jesse_54

Apr 1, 2008
Another question: On the clutch cover there was a seal and there was an orange colored sealant or grease just wondering what kind of stuff to put on there

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Are you putting in new plates? Normally not a real big deal, till I seen the work done to the hub already. How is the outer hub? I am puzzled as to why someone would invest in a good basket and butcher the stock hub? They did not have a ninja nick name? Vintage Bob

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Wow, I thought the basket and hub that came out of my 1982 KTM MC250 flat track engine looked bad..

It actually looks serviceable compared to this picture.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Yeah that thing is ready (a long time ago) for the scrap heap. I was having problems in our RM144 ice bike with the clutch not fully engaging out of hard acceleration corners and a new inner hub cured it. For about $40 I can't believe I didn't do it sooner and mine was no where near the wear on yours.

jesse_54

Apr 1, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Are you putting in new plates? Normally not a real big deal, till I seen the work done to the hub already. How is the outer hub? I am puzzled as to why someone would invest in a good basket and butcher the stock hub? They did not have a ninja nick name? Vintage Bob

Yes I'll be putting in new plates for sure. The outer hub is actually fine, no grooves/rough edges or anything. And yeah i'm not sure why they would have replaced the basket and not the hub.

jesse_54

Apr 1, 2008
I definitely wasn't the one to ride this bike very hard, because I'm pretty slow to begin with. Now that I have a decent manual I hope to do some more long overdue maintenance lol.

jesse_54

Apr 1, 2008
One more question. If the basket has marks from where the drive plates make contact, should it be replaced? The marks aren't grooved out you can hardly tell by feel but you can clearly see the marks. Just wondering if i should be ordering one of those too.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
jesse_54 said:
One more question. If the basket has marks from where the drive plates make contact, should it be replaced? The marks aren't grooved out you can hardly tell by feel but you can clearly see the marks. Just wondering if i should be ordering one of those too.

Just marks no, once the notches get more than say 1/8 inch deep, definitely start thinking about a new basket.

Then go with a Hinson and never worry about baskets again.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
IndyMX said:
Just marks no, once the notches get more than say 1/8 inch deep, definitely start thinking about a new basket.

Then go with a Hinson and never worry about baskets again.
He already has a roached Hinson basket. Can you determine if its been filed already? Pics? Get a stock one for cheap, get a Wiseco if you got the money. Replaceable ss pads is the ticket!

jesse_54

Apr 1, 2008
The basket has not been filed it looks like. And the marks are no where near 1/8" deep so I think this one is OK. Thanks for all the useful info!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
He already has a roached Hinson basket. Can you determine if its been filed already? Pics? Get a stock one for cheap, get a Wiseco if you got the money. Replaceable ss pads is the ticket!

Oh.... my bad.. ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom