rennat_2006

Dec 23, 2007
1997 Honda Cr80 Expert

I just put back together the little brothers Cr80 after rebuilding the bottom end and am having some trouble with the clutch.

With the cable in the same adjustment as it was before the engine was removed it will not release(motor dies when put into gear at idle). I tried adjusting the cable and no matter what i have done it still does not release, I even adjusted it out far enough that the clutch slipped while riding it(only rode it for 10 feet). Also with the cable at either adjustment the pull on the clutch lever is WAY to hard, It was an easy pull before removal. Easily twice as hard to pull the lever on this bike than on my ktm 550(2 stroke) which uses ALOT heavier springs.

With the inner nut on the clutch hub but the spring plate/springs not installed i can move the inner hub back and forth easily.

If someone has a manaul for the bike and can explain or post the clutch install info for me that would be great.

Thanks!

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
my bud just had his 1993 cr80 apart last weekend and he had the same problem with his clutch. We whipped it off and it turned out to be that the thrust washer had fallen off the shaft before he put the plates in... so it was just sitting in the bottom of the basket with the plates jammed up against it. I dunno about the movement but that could also be the washer as the washer isn't sitting in it's proper place. Hopefully your problem is something easy like this... easy fixes are always a nice treat :P

rennat_2006

Dec 23, 2007
The cable guide that bolts onto one of the cylinder studs? It is on the rear right stud.

Or are you talking about the clutch lever that comes out of the clutch cover? It may have been spun around but it is facing the same way as the one in this picture
p_CRF150_eng_compl.jpg

rennat_2006

Dec 23, 2007
tyler_43 said:
my bud just had his 1993 cr80 apart last weekend and he had the same problem with his clutch. We whipped it off and it turned out to be that the thrust washer had fallen off the shaft before he put the plates in... so it was just sitting in the bottom of the basket with the plates jammed up against it. I dunno about the movement but that could also be the washer as the washer isn't sitting in it's proper place. Hopefully your problem is something easy like this... easy fixes are always a nice treat :P
Not my problem in this case, I have torn it apart 3 times now trying to see something obvious.

rennat_2006

Dec 23, 2007
tyler_43 said:
alright just checking :P
Thank you for the suggestion though!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I was referring to the arm coming out of the clutch case. Try that in a few different positions and see if it makes a difference. I've had that with other bikes where it gets put back on 1 notch off from normal and clutch pull and release is affected greatly.

rennat_2006

Dec 23, 2007
Chili said:
I was referring to the arm coming out of the clutch case. Try that in a few different positions and see if it makes a difference. I've had that with other bikes where it gets put back on 1 notch off from normal and clutch pull and release is affected greatly.
Oh I understand now, The lever was never taken off of the shaft that goes inside of the clutch cover. I dont think it can even be seperated(welded) on the Cr80's.

rennat_2006

Dec 23, 2007
No i checked for that.

I figured out the problem last night, I put a "Extra" washer behind the clutch hub bolt so bcause of that the clutch hub was not able to push back to release the tension on the plates. The clutch works great now BUT now ive got that "Extra" washer...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom