Clutch basket and kick starter gear! Need help quick!

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I just bought a Hinson clutch basket since my old basket was grooved out. Anyways, I pressed the old kickstarter gear out of the old basket and followed the instructions on putting it in the new basket. It said to put the gear in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. I put it in there for three hours. I then put the basket in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes like the instructions said. I quickly got the basket out of the oven and the gear out of the freezer and it slid about halfway in and stopped! No way I can press it the rest of the way by hand. Anyways, what should I do? Should I go ahead and use a shop press to press it the rest of the way in, or should I press it back out and try again? Matt

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
more info

are both parts made of similar metal?? i havent an idea what they look like but i would try to heat the basket a little with a propane torch but only propane not o2 a2 or mapp propane only it has the lowest temp gas and go with what i know from pressing the old one out ...how did that turn out is there any damage from that process ....set the old one on a plate of glass see if you warped it ....if not see what some other guys say then go 4 it ..try in 1st then youll be done if not out then start over

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
Success! When I pressed the gear out of the old basket, I actually broke the basket! I was nervous about doing this to the new basket, but I found a huge socket, put it inside the basket right around where the gear was being pressed into. It went in fairly easily. Anyways, it's in there and everything is in one piece! Whew! Matt

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom