Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Seems everything needs to be replace this year. It's time to replace the clutch basket.

I've got two choices;
  1. get a stock replacement and just do a quick swap and be done with it.
  2. buy one of the after-market variants that require the drive gear be drilled off the original basket and screwed/bolted onto the new one.
I'm a weekend warrior who has gotten almost 4 years out of the original clutch. Admittedly, I probably should have replaced it last year, but I eeked out a few more rides:).

Am I going to see that much increased life/better clutch action out of the after-market basket as opposed to the OEM? The price difference isn't all that much, I'm more concerned with performance/longevity.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
If you got 4 seasons out of the original I'd likely just go OEM again. As far as the quick swap are you sure the OEM comes with the drive gear?

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I just changed one on a CR250 and the gear came on the OEM.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
So what is it that the Hinson/Wiseco/et al. offer that the OEM basket lacks?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The wiseco and others are anodized? colored? They claim they are harder. The wiseco offers stainless steel covers where the friction plate tabs ride, no more notches! Could very well be the last basket you will ever purchase. The hinson hubs are the way to go if they need replacing. And good for you honda makes the best plates.

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
For us the hinson outer was the way to go, same price as oem and not even witness marks on it after 2 1/2 years of practice and racing. Inner basket we change 1 or 2 a year with oem $40 vs. $250 soft but cheap.

Top Bottom