Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
The clutch on my '97 YZ 125 engages late... the bike really doesn't start to move forward until towards the end of releasing the clutch lever. My clutch works fine though, no problems at all when riding. I've tried tightening up my clutch cable but it doesn't seem to help much.

Thoughts?

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Your clutch basket is probably notched. Take your side cover off and see if theres any grooves in the basket. If there is and they're not too deep file them down.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Haven't looked at a Yamaha in a long time but there will be adjustments at the end of the clutch cable at the engine cases or inside, can't recall if Yamaha has the actuator inside or outside the cases. You can set it there to engage earlier or later usually.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Ryan314 said:
I've tried tightening up my clutch cable but it doesn't seem to help much.

Thoughts?

My thought is that this condition is usually either caused by worn plates or too tight of a clutch cable. If that is the case, your tightening it would only make it worse.

RubenCR

Apr 17, 2007
Check the clutch fork next to the Magneto (follow the clutch cable take the side casing off where the gear lever is located) might have some problems with the spring.

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Loosen your cable until the clutch arm attatched to the motor has a little bit of freeplay in it. This way you know your clutch is disengaging completely and you'll know if its your plates or not.

Top Bottom