kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
I'm going to replace my factory springs and friction plates due to slipping and need to know what year XR 250 friction plates to use. Also, can I just lay the the bike on it's side for this or do I need to drain the oil and such?

kaw Bill

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
Hey if you wanna save some cash I have EBC clutch kit...and yes you can lay it on its side and do the work....but change your oil after ( and dont forget to soak your fibers)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Well..not really. You can put the bike on its side and NOT change the oil.

Buy why on earth would you? You're spending how much on new clutch parts, but you don't want to change the oil? That makes no cents (sic).

Not all plates in kdx clutches are steel. Seems some are, some aren't. Make sure yours are.

If I recall from last time I checked, you'll see a different year application for the XR250R friction plates now. Any listing that INCLUDES '86-99 will work.

AND...soak the plates as noted on the printed material included with 'em. JUST they way it says. Don't substitute oil or abbreviate the time it says.

....imo and all that........but other riders have had poor result from ignoring those instructions.

Last edited:

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
The oil was just changed. I didn't really have time to do a full clutch job. I just threw the new springs in to get me by for my next riding trip. I know it sounds half assed but it certainly isn't going to hurt anything running new oil, new springs and old plates. I'll tear it down this winter and do the job properly. Thanks for the replies.

kaw Bill

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
What's this? why do you want to run the honda friction plates? explain please! as I'll be doing the 96 this winter. thanks

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
70 marlin - The Honda ('86 XR 250) friction plates fit the KDX clutch basket perfectly and have about twice the surface area. I posted a pic on here a while back of the two different plates side by side. Jeff Fredette recommended this and i listened to him. :worship:

Let me know if you want that pic again. You should be able to find it with a search on my nick.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by 70 marlin
What's this? why do you want to run the honda friction plates? explain please! as I'll be doing the 96 this winter. thanks

In addition to what KelvinKDX says, get stiffer springs too. Either the ones Fredette sells, or at least the the KDX springs from a later model year than '96. The 95-96 clutch springs (92144-1559) had problems and Kawi replaced them on later years with stiffer ones (92144-1160).

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom