Greg

Feb 20, 2000
Anybody had any problems with the clutch on their rfs. I purchased a used exc520 in June and starting about 3 rides ago notice the clutch slipping. Took cover off and fiber plates are down to nothing. Nobody I called had steel plates in stock. I am going to just replace the fiber ones and hope problem is solved. What could cause this? Excessive H.P., wrong oil, or just time to replace. What kind of oil is good to run to get better clutch life without sacrificing engine life. Replacing the plates is not a big deal, but in the 20 years I've ridden, this is the first clutch I've had to replace. Luckily it surfaced while practicing Sunday and not at my first H.S. of the season at Greenville KY next Sunday.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
It's not common for KTM's to go through clutches but it's certainly possible. The former owner may have been a person who slipped the clutch quite a bit. It's also possible that they were using a synthetic oil that had friction modifiers, as most automotive ones do (not Mobil 1 15-50, though), that would accelerate wear.

Moose sells steels and fibers. I got a spare set for my RFS from www.cyclezonektm.com

Greg

Feb 20, 2000
Jeb,
Are you saying Mobil 1 does not have friction inhibitors. That is what I've been running in it for the last 2 oil changes. Neely racing sent me the plates and recommended golden spectro semi synthetic. I don't think oil had anything to do with wear. I am going to try the golden spectro. I think prior owner was a slipper, because steel plates are excellent. Just the fiber ones are worn down.

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
The friction modifiers in some oils will cause excessive slippage of the clutch plates, thereby wearing them out quicker. Mobile 1 15W50 with the red cap is a full synthetic without the friction modifiers, and is the recommended oil to use by a lot of KTM riders.

Larry

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
What Larry said. Any other Mobil 1 auto oil has the modifiers, not inhibitors, and could cause more wear on the clutch as it's more slippery.

Top Bottom