southrn50

Mar 19, 2005
Just bought a 2001 RM250. It had sat for about 1 1/2 years in the guys garage (he had maybe 20 hours on it, and bought it new in 2001). My problem is that when I squeeze the clutch in, the bike still pulls forward slightly. When I pull the clutch in, and stomp the rear brake, the bike dies cause the clutch won't free the transmission. I've adjusted just the cable on the bars, nothing major yet. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Great website..been reading for hours!!

Thanks in advance...

Southrn50

motolink

Apr 15, 2004
It sounds to me like the clutch plates are not separating correctly when the lever is pulled in. If the bike has been sitting unstarted for a long time than the clutch assebly may want a good clean to stop the fibers and alloy plates from sticking together. This is not a difficult job by any means. If you have a manual than just follow the instructions. If you have any problems let me know.
If you were lucky the clutch may not be adjusted correctly, too much free play in the clutch lever, a simple fix, adjust the cable. Good luck.

southrn50

Mar 19, 2005
Thanks!! It's not the cable. It's got only about 1/2 inch or so of play. Guess I get to play with the clutch itself for the first time.

Southrn50

motolink

Apr 15, 2004
When you say you have got a 1/2 inch of play what are you refering too.You should adjust the cable so that there is only about 1/8 inch of play between the lever and the bracket before the slack is taken up. For the clutcn not to be disengaging correctly means the the clutch rod is not push the plates apart or the plates are sticking together. You have got to be sure the cable is adjusted correctly first.Disassembling the cluch pack for a good clean is not difficult, Just follow the manual.Gook luck.

NacNac250F

Apr 15, 2003
check the clutch basket and inner hub for grooves from the clutch plates. If their grooved then they'll catch the clutch plates keeping them from disengaging. But unless the guy who had it before beat the crap out of the clutch the grooves are probably not likely. You might need to just replace the clutch plates because they were sitting for so long.

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
hey man, I have a 2002 RM250 and I'm haveing exactly the same trouble. Turns out the plates are not releasing properly due to wear on the clutch basket. the plates catch on the grooves created by the plates, and they bascially get stuck on those grooves and can't release properly. I filed down the grooves on the basket (really) carefully, but I know a new basket is not far away. Also check out the inner clutch sleeve, that gets grooved by the steel plates.
I haven;'t figured how to clean up the inner basket.....???????

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
The inner hub can be filed too, to get you a little more time. Aftermarket baskets are pricey, but so are hubs! A stock hub is only about $50, so I just go that way. You can drill some holes in hub to improve oil flow...1/8" holes in the perimeter of hub, between the splines, drill a couple in about every 2nd-3rd row. (make sure to space-out so holes miss inner webbing of hub.) And a light sanding of each clutch plate to remove glaze may save you from having to buy new friction plates. Many choices of oils out there, but automotive ATF type F works well for me, is cheap, and I change every ride or two (every 6 hrs. or so) Also, take a look at some of the older threads in here, there's a ton of imput on clutch troubles and experience with different solutions.

250 rider

Mar 15, 2005
pressure plates warp on the rm's depending on how it was riddin. make sure the pressure plate is worn even when you take the clutch apart. if the pressure plate gets warped the clutch will drag

southrn50

Mar 19, 2005
Thanks for all the help. I adjusted the cable to 1/8 inch of play, but still not releasing. Guess it's time to try something new. Thanks again for all ya'lls help. I let ya know how it turns out.

Southrn50

ETS

Apr 13, 2000
My 01' RM is doing the same thing. Not as bad but it does creep with the clutch pulled in. It was a leftover last april and has less than 10 hours on it and it creeps. Always has. I have my free play adjusted to the minimum. It also doesn't engage or release until the lever is released about 80% out. Makes it hard in technical tight trails sometimes. I had a magura hydro clutch that I bought used and it was worse. I need to bleed the clutch to see if it improves but it didn't have enough throw to work properly. I just ignore it now and don't start it in gear. My 96' RM was similar so I just figure it's a zuki thing.

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Clutches uniformly suck on Zuki's. It was this way on my 97 RM250 and now on my 2001. I think their street bikes are just as bad too.

Micah

Top Bottom