Clutch issue: Bike lunges with clutch in

travbowls

Jun 24, 2008
When I pull the clutch in, and give the bike gas while in gear, the bike lunges forward. I have searched other threads, and while people say it is common for it to be hard to roll, I don't think it should lunge like this. I have tried adjusting the clutch cable all the way.. to no avail.

If the bike sat for a while, and leaked oil from the drain plug, would the clutch friction plates dry and warp, causing something like this?? If the plates were just dry, but not warped, will (fixing the plug) and having enough oil in there eventually saturate the plates enough for it work properly again?

Any help greatly appreciated

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
i have the same issue and i have been told that the clutch basket is bad. does it also lung forward when you put it in gear with the clutch pulled in.

travbowls

Jun 24, 2008
Yeah, when the clutch is in, and I shift it into gear, it lunges. In fact, I kind of have to "force" it into 1st gear. Basically, it's as if I'm only squeezing the clutch half way.. but I have it adjusted the cable all the way, where if I (could) adjust it anymore, it seems the clutch would always be partially engaged, and would slip under load.

Possible Reason's:
-Weak Springs ... would have the opposite problem, clutch would slip under load
-Stretched cable??
-Grooves in the clutch basket??

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
i would say just replace your clutch basket, springs, and plates. it sounds like to me you have grooves in the clutch basket and the slipping is from bad plates and if you already have to replace all of those you mind as well replace the springs.

Top Bottom