Clutch & Kickstarter problem

TriniG

Feb 5, 2002
Hi Guys,
I just did an oil seal and bearing job on my 93 KDX200. While I was at it I opened it up further to inspect the kickstarter mechanism to look at the ratchet because I was getting slipping when cranking the bike. I lifted out the clutch basket as a whole unit... didn't need to mess with that. Anyway, I couldn't see anything wrong with the kickstarter, so I put everything back up.

Now heres the problem: 1. Before I put on the engine cover, I checked the kickstarter, it was working fine. after I put thecover on, the kick starter moves stiff and the return spring is not bringing the kick lever back up to the top. Like it's "rubbing" on something

2. The clutch is not disengaging, (even when adjusted to maximum tension). I double checked the the shaft was in the right position. Could it be that some of the plates are not seated right?

What have I missed? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Shaun
Trinidad

TriniG

Feb 5, 2002
Regarding the clutch. Do you think maybe because the bike's clutch sat for over a week before reassembly, without any oil that it might just be stuck together. I'm hoping I don't have to go back in... but I probably do.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
TriniG said:
Regarding the clutch. Do you think maybe because the bike's clutch sat for over a week before reassembly, without any oil that it might just be stuck together. I'm hoping I don't have to go back in... but I probably do.

Thats a good possiblity. My 89's clutch froze up over the winter. Tearing it down and seperating the plates and then reassembling it fixed it up.

-Maurice

Top Bottom