CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Here's the issue: My hand is too small to adequately reach the clutch lever when I ride. I actually have to move my hand out of place to pull the lever. This wasn't a problem when I rode a 4-stroke, but all this shifting and slipping the clutch on the new 2-stroke makes my left wrist scream after a long day's ride. Now, I KNOW some of you have kids out there with hands the same size as mine. So, how do you set up the clutch levers for your kids? I notice that the KX85 clutch lever is exactly the same size as mine. How do these kids reach it? I've tried bending the lever, but I've just ended up braking many of them in the process. Is bending those things my only solution? Are there any "size small" clutch levers or something aftermarket that I should check out? I've done a little online searching of the gear sites, but I haven't seen anything. HELP!

Last edited:

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
The only thing I can think of is the MSR pro lever.  It has the bend in it meant for one or two finger operation that allows it to not smash your other fingers.  The bend puts it closer to the bar than standard levers.  I don't know if this is a good solution but it may be something to look into.

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
I've used the MSR on a YZ400F and it worked well. (I have relatively small hands too.) Something else that worked for me on my YZ125 was to slide the perch closer to the grip. The part of the lever that is at the perch is the shortest reach, so that's where I grab. The down side is you have less leverage, so the pull effort is higher. However, after making this adjustment, my forearms (and fingers) started working again.

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
I modified my son's KX65 lever by drilling a hole in the backside of the perch, side where the cable comes out.  I then tapped the hole and inserted a screw.  By turing the screw in the lever is pushed back.  I loosened the cable enough to set the lever where he needed it and then adjusted the clutch.  He started riding the KX at 6 yrs old and it worked well for him.  Sorry I don't hae a picture of it.  Good luck.

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
If you buy a foldable perch than the lever position is adjustable. Im pretty sure Tortelli uses one. I think ARC makes it but dont hold me to it.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Thanks so much for the suggestions! That ARC adjustable sounds like it'll do the trick for the long term. I'll search on that now. 'Gonna try out the Vytas idea for this weekend; I think I understand what ya did and it sounds like that might do the trick for the short term. THANKS!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Hey thanks Vytas i like the idea.. My freinds son rides a kx65 and has a kinda hard time reaching the lever.. I got some work to do,

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by flynbryan
Yes the ARC does have an adjustable throw, its great, very useful

so does the ASV folding lever, i had the MSR shorty but only ran it twice, the ASV is so much better made, but i suppose you have to pay that little extra

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Great Idea Vytas! I was searching and found this thread. Thought about loosening the cable... but how to hold the lever close to the bars?? :bang: Easy fix now! Thanks!

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Vytas.... A+++ great mod tip, if I may add... when you make the mod be absolutely sure you can get the adjustment. Those using 1-2 fingers on the 250T's may not be able to get the full disengagement thus kill the engine in braking/cornering.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Mine usuallly get adjusted on the first fall and when I bend them back you can set the reach you desire. If you heat a $10 lever and bend with a couple strategically placed box wrenches you will not break it. Use sand paper to smooth out the knicks and your good to go. Heat is the key. One time I spent a great deal of time setting the shape of a YZ lever and wound up with an identical bend to a KX lever!

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
First ride with the new stop bolt this past weekend and it worked great! Only took about 30 mins to do the whole thing and now it's adjustable. After the oil is warm, the clutch is loose enough, when the lever is pulled that I can kick start it in gear. :cool:

Top Bottom