cleopatrisha

Dec 16, 2006
my 1981 yz250 has an issue with the clutch I have the right side cover off so I can see the clutch basket. when I try to pull in the clutch lever in it only goes a little bit so I disconnected the clutch cable and tried to move the clutch actuator lever by hand and same thing. it does not move far enough to disengage the gears it almost feels like that push rod that goes across to clutch basket is stuck or something else maybe stuck that keeps the clutch actuator from making its normal complete cycle what should I be looking at when I do this? and how do I get the push rod out to inspect it? how do I tell if the clutch basket is stuck?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
The clutch rod doesn't have to move very far to disengage the clutch plates. The way to check it is to remove the six screws with the springs behind them on the clutch pressure plate. Slide the plate off and slide the clutch plates out of the clutch basket. You can remove the push rod and check it and also check the clutch basket for notches where the clutch plates ride. If there are notches in the basket where the clutch plate tabs ride, they could be hanging up the clutch. You can either carefully file the notches out of the basket or replace the basket.

Top Bottom