Clutch only works when engine is on. help

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
i bought a used 2001 kdx 220 and it is in good shape. but now the clutch doesn't work unless the engine is on. you can push the bike when its in gear even when the clutch is on. please help me if you know. thanks.

Last edited:

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
does that happen when cold and hasn't been run i think no oil between the plates makes that happen?i noticed that on mine in that situation i don't worry about it .i have no problems when it's running or has been run ,just cold when it has been idle since my last outing

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
i took it for a ride and came back and tried it again and it still happened. its nothing major but its used and i've had it for about 3 days.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
If you mean that the rear wheel won't turn at all, then you've got a problem. If you mean that it's harder to roll in gear with the clutch pulled in than it is when it's in neutral - that's just the normal situation.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
yeah... All bikes I've had are harder to push when in gear with the clutch pulled in (than when in neutral). 'Cept for this xr200 :think:

jc

Sep 22, 2001
Try changing the oil to a good brand, I have seen a big difference in preformance depending on the oil I used in many of my past bikes. You may have worn fingers on the clutch basket or clutch hub. The clutch plates wear grooves in them and that makes it hard for the plates to slide on them when you pull the clutch. When the engine is running the force of the engine will force them to slide, but when it is not they want to "stick" making it hard to push while in gear. When they get real bad the engine will stall sometimes when you put it into gear. This a common problem on motorcycles. I have fixed them before they get too bad by pulling the basket and Lightly filing the fingers to take out as much of the grooves as poss. Don't get them too thin or they are prone to breaking. The grooves are caused most of the time by popping the clutch for example: to wheelie or burn out, and just age. Hope this helps.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom