Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
My buddy has a 96 KX250 and the tranny has been acting up. It feels like the clutch isn't totally dis-engaging when the lever is pulled in, making the bike want to jerk forward. A new clutch cable was installed today along with some fresh tranny oil. I haven't checked the plates yet, but you would think that if it were the plates, then the bike wouldn't hook up (because of worn plates). So this makes me think that the plates are fine, possibly the springs? Anyone have a similar prob, or know what I should be looking for? Could it be that maybe the plates are wore down so much there is metal to metal contact with the clutch plates and the steel plates? Any help would be appreciated...

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
More than likely, grooves are worn into the clutch basket where the plates contact it. Kawi's had somewhat soft baskets. You can file the grooves down for a temporary fix, but long term, you will have to replace the basket. this has made hinson a lot of money, but there are other replacement makers showing up now.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I never even thought of the basket, but that makes perfect sense. I'll take it apart tomorrow and have a looksee. On a side note, I filed down the basket on my RM and made the clutch pull change from a Olympic event to a nice every day task :)

Thanks Again ...

Top Bottom