Clutch problem

chiro972

Dec 12, 2002
Hi all,

I just got my 2000 kdx 220 this past weekend and tried riding it today and I have severe clutch slip. To the point that I can't even ride it. Any significant throttle and the engine just revs and the bike doesn't really go any faster.

So, I know I need a service manual, I am ordering it tomorrow from the dealer, but does anyone know what is wrong? Is it just that the clutch is shot? I tried adjusting the cable, but even totally slack, the clutch doesn't really engage. Is there anything else I can try before buying a new clutch?

What do I need to replace? Just the plates? Springs? Should I just go ahead and get a heavy duty clutch like a Barnett? I took the clutch cover off and looked things over, nothing is obviously broken or anything like that. Any advice would be appreciated!

chiro972

Dec 12, 2002
Oh, I almost forgot. Could someone who has a manual please let me know what the spec is for the clutch springs and the friction plates? I can at least take it apart and find out what the problem is so I can order parts when I order my manual.

Thanks!

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Chiro, take it apart and give it a good look. Check the fibers and the plates, as well as the springs. If you replace it, replace it with the kit from EBC, etc that provides springs as well! The stock springs on the KDX are weak at best. I have some photos of my clutch swap out and a comparrison of the springs on my website. It's not rocket science or even hard :) The kit was around $70 bucks I think, and I already had a gasket.

-MD

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Friction plate thickness:
Standard 2.92 ~ 3.08mm
Service limit 2.70mm

Friction and steel plate warp:
Standard 0.2mm or less
Service limit 0.3

Clutch spring free length:
Standard 38.7mm
Service limit 37.2mm

chiro972

Dec 12, 2002
Fatty, Thank you so much!

Disher, Where did you get the clutch kit?

Thanks guys!

chiro972

Dec 12, 2002
Well my plates were well within spec, but my springs were WAY below the service limit. I guess that would explain the slipping?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If you're replacing the friction plates, keep in mind the XR250R plates. FRP sells 'em. They replace the oem plates fit-wise (of course) but also offer considerably more friction surface.

Given a choice, I'd prefer an superior friction surface and thus more positive engagement (or clutch DISengagement if that's your preference) over stronger springs. The easier the pull the better....not to mention the reduced wear with lighter springs on a whole lotta mechanical parts.

imo

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
I believe I ordered mine from RockyMountainATV . My clutch was obviously stock when I did it. The heavier springs seem to help engage-disengagement quite a bit, and IMHO didn't make the lever any harder.

Fredette will send you beefier springs too, and that's what the ebc kit 'just' came with. :D Sure beats dealer pricing. I know Sage can get this stuff as well.

-MD

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…