aarons125

Apr 6, 2007
Hey guys,
i just bought an 02 cr125.. good condition.. the guy told me that the clutch cable was streched... reason why he said this is because, when you pull the clutch in and go to put it in 1st is stalls as if the clutch plates are not being released.. I put a new cable on and adjusted it.. and the same thing happend... no matter how you set the adjustment on the cable unless it;s to the extreme.. the plates on the clutch don't release, and it's as if the clutch was not pulled in.. i took to clutch cover off, to fine gray oil.. and everything in tach.. along with the friction plates and pressure plates all looking A ok!!... i'm stumped.. any help would be great... oh yea.... i checked the shaft and pin.. nothing is broken..

Thanks!!

uts

Jan 8, 2004
Did you look at the basket? It if is grooved it can cause this. Does it start to work when the bike warms upDid you take the clutch apart. The plates could be gummed together.

aarons125

Apr 6, 2007
umm would the plates being gummed up be caused by using normal motor oil.... i think the guy befor me had no idea what he was doing and might of added regual motor oil

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Your basket should be smooth with no grooves. The friction plates are getting stuck in the grooves and not separating, thus not disengaging the engine from the transmission.

You can get away with "filing" the basket, this will smooth the basket tangs. Allowing the friction plates to slide freely.

Here is a thread with some good info and pictures;

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=148565

Good luck, Steve.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Clutches on MX bikes drag just a little bit, especially when cold. I give my bike a quick rev with the clutch lever in as I drop it in gear. Excessive drag on the clutch is caused by warped plates or a notched basket. Don't forget that the inner hub sometimes develops notches as well.

aarons125

Apr 6, 2007
alright i'v tried like heck to get that center nut off the clutch hub... any tricks to get that thing off, i folded the tabs back outta the way of the nut and i ened up breaking the bolt on the front spocket trying to hold the one while loosing up the end where the clutch is... so now i have two problems... any idea with that guys.. btw thanks for all the information. this has already been a great help..!

Aaron

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You need to use an impact wrench or a regular wrench with a tool to prevent the clutch basket from tuning. Do not try sticking someting through the fingers on the clutch basket to prevent it from rotating because you will break one off. My friend tried this, clutch baskets are expensive.

aarons125

Apr 6, 2007
i'v done that befor too.. all i did was get a flat headed bolt and screw it in from the other side then i just placed it back on and put the bolt on with the spring and it seems to work great... but how do i get the basket from not spinnging?

Red Ryder

Mar 14, 2007
Call your stealership, they can tell you right away about the threads. When removing the clutch nut, take a penny and put it between the clutch gears to hold it in place. Do not use steel to hold it because it is a harder metel and might break a tooth. It is best to use a impact driver or a pneumatic driver. When putting the clutch bolt back on make sure to use locktite and to torque it properly. There is a universal clutch holder tool that you can get at a local shop, I would get one of those it might come in usefull in the future anyway.

Red Ryder

Mar 14, 2007
Oh, I'm sorry I must have been thinking of something else. I geuss you will have to get the clutch holder tool and the clutch removal tool.

Jordan

aarons125

Apr 6, 2007
You know both the inner and outter hubs were grooved bad.. did a little **** shopping and bought a aftermarket henson inner basket and a vortex outter all for a total of 204.00 shipped.. so i'm taken any means possible to remove this thing... Still thank you for all the help so far guys!!!!

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
With that investment I would suggest a new clutch kit too; friction plates, driven plates (steels) and springs.

Motosport.com or rockymountainatv.com should have what you need.

Good luck, Steve.

dirtbike2244

Mar 22, 2007
you could look at nada guides or kelley blue book, they give a general price. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned but my 99 kx had a pretty bad jump and when i replaced the cable it didnt help
What i do now is just give it a little gas before you shift it into gear, or it worked for me to hold the front brake when i shifted, idk if this will help but i just thought id put it out there

Top Bottom