Killa2344

Nov 30, 2002
My clutch is slipping really bad. I have replaced the springs and friction plates. The cable is also adjusted properly. I want to know how much the indentions on the basket affect its opperation. THANKS

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
The grooves in the clutch basket fingers will cause the clutch to slip or stick. If there are not too bad you can file them down.
Use a fine file and finish up with a wet stone.
You need to put a piece of plastic behind the basket ( like an old plastic container ) to catch the metal shavings.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
If your steel plates are burnt(blueish/black) that will cause slipage as well.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Nitches.....Notches.....Not to mention that........Improper wear in the nut and wear washer.......If there is wear on the afore mentioned two items check your shaft.....and shifting rod.....If it's worn it will cause the above mentioned problem.

Last edited:

Killa2344

Nov 30, 2002
The clutch boss is not damaged at all. The basket has small indentions though. Dose anyone think it could be the gears within the crank case, or would I hear noise. The wierd thing is that it will work sometimes until the engine gets warm.

RedRyder

Mar 29, 2001
I had the same problem with my old XR. New plates, springs... turned out my pressure plate was worn out (the outermost fiber plate had cut a channel into it.) Maybe check that out.

Top Bottom