elliott

Mar 21, 2003
I have been told that aftermarket clutch springs are very tight and that I should use 3 old springs and 2 from the aftermarket clutch kit to prevent a stiff clutch. I installed all the new springs and the clutch is very stiff to pull in and the free play is hard to adjust. Should I listen to the dealer when he tells me to change the springs or is he looking to make money from me down the road.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
If your clutch isn't slipping and they haven't been damaged during a change of clutch plates or from getting too hot, I say leave 'em in. Iv'e never had a spring fail but once I had a stud fail. The spring pushed into the side cover and it cored a hole right through the side cover. This was on a 73 Husky with magnisium cover. I found a place that welded it back on! I digress....A stiff clutch is going to cause more stress on your cable. It will fail sooner rather than later with the extra tension it is pulling on. I see no reason for stiff spings if the clutch isn't slipping. (I'm repeating my self) (self) oops!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom