canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The parts diagram doesn't show an o-ring on this shaft.

That's amazing.

So..when it starts seeping tranny fluid is it a clutch cover problem?

Anyone machined a groove in the shaft (PN 13236-1264) for their own aftermarket 'fix' for an oozing clutch lever?

cfr1970

Sponsoring Member
Jun 27, 2002
If you're refering to seepage from the top of the clutch cover, the little spring tends to dig into the seal at that point. What I wound up doing was replacing the seal, then I added a thin teflon washer between the spring and the seal. This stopped the seepage for me. Your 2000 may be set up differently than my 91. (I looked at the parts diagram and couldn't tell a difference) Hope this helps.

Chris

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I haven't had mine apart to look at it yet. Last kdx I DID have pieces to look at...there wasn't a leakage issue, so I didn't look at that part.

Parts diagram doesn't show any seal, either.

.....this shouldn't be that complicated :(

cfr1970

Sponsoring Member
Jun 27, 2002
As far as a seal goes, the only one on the shaft is the seal in the top of the clutch cover. There isn't a seal on the shaft. It wouldn't have anything to seal against, plus, if the seal started to break down, it would foul your clutch plates. Take a look at the top of the clutch cover, under the return spring. You'll most likely find a groove worn by the return spring that comprimised your seal. With a teflon washer (about 2mm) you're talking a $2.00 fix.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
crappers.

I just realized as this thread was loading that the seal would be IN the cover, NOT on the shaft.

Thanks for restating that. I'll check it.

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
Canyncrvr, how did you make out? Mine is starting to ooze and I can't find the seal (in a parts diagram at buykawasaki) in the clutch cover either.

Is yours leaking or fixed?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Fixed.
Piece of cake. It's there.

See attached (PN for 'H' model)

Attachments

• clutch shaft seal.jpg
    clutch shaft seal.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 117

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
BTW...I didn't pursue the washer issue. The 'H' model has such a washer. No damage was being done by the spring tang (well, I guess it would be the spring orientation due to torsion) to the seal. Mine was just worn out.

If it's not too late, might as well order a couple. It's something that will need r/r more'n once.

Last edited:

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
My spring was well and truly worn, so I got rid of it altogether - what could that puny thing do that your clutch springs won't, eh?! Clutch still works fine. I'm sure they put it there for a reason, but I'm buggered if I can see it!

Andrew

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Two different functions.

The clutch springs work only to the point they are limited by the basket. That leaves the actuator flopping around in the 'freeplay' space.

........thus the puny thing.

Top Bottom