Clutch / Trans. problems after switching from 10w-40 to MTL 75wt.

thehardway

Aug 4, 2004
Immediately after switching from a 10w-40 to a Maxima MTL 75wt. specific transmission oil, my sons KX65 became hard to shift, couldn't find neutral while the bike was running (easily done when bike was off), and when bike is not running if the clutch is pulled in fully while the bike is still in gear, the bike will remain locked up (doesn't do that while it's running however). I am thoroughly upset about this and am hoping that I didn't ruin anything by switching oils. Can anyone give suggestions on what I could do to correct this problem? I have not drained the oil yet but plan to do so and go back to running a 10w-40 or 20w-50. I wanted to see if anyone may have experienced this before and what they did to correct the problem first. Thanks

spidartanks

Jan 14, 2004
If that is the only thing you changed? if so common sense says yo put the old oil back in that worked and see if the problem is still there.

if so, ripper apart and see :)

g'luck

Supafly_MX

Apr 12, 2004
Hi there

I had the exact same problem as you. My cr125 was running perfect until i did a oil change 20W40 and all hell broke loose. The clutch didnt want to engage but when riding it, it ran normal. When i was in neutral and put it 1st gear with the clutch released notthing happened the bike didnt move.

All i did was change the oil to ATF 80w and now its running like a demon again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its definately the oil (too thick)

Hope that helps

Supafly_MX

oates

May 26, 2004
When i changed from spectro 10-40 to bel-ray 80w, i had a similar problem. I think it may be caused by not replacing the fiber plates when changing to a different type of oil (in my case synthetic to regular oil). after a i ran the bike for several days with the clutch working poorly, i changed the oil again, again using 80w, and all my problems went away. I assumed that there was some kind of conflict in the two oils when miked together, but who knows?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I agree, going from different oil weights caused problems on my tranny as well. It was hard to shift and became real notchy. Stick with what works, if it was fine, go back to it, that's my .02. I ran 10-30 in my rm trans and it's fine. Replace it, run it and see if it helps, then drain it again and re-fill, not alot of $ for one extra qt.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom