ckattner

Oct 4, 2001
Just want some opinions. Is shifting without using the clutch harmful to a gearbox or anything else. All of my riding buddies say it does hurt a thing, but I just don't see how that is possible. I would like to hear everyone's opinions. Thanks in advance for the input.;)

Collin

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
Most of the time, I shift without the clutch. I think the only time I use the clutch is when starting, stoping, or when it's hard to pull the shifter up. I haven't had a problem so far.

Associate01

Jan 26, 2001
Personally, I use the CLUTCH all the time, but that is just habit, and what I had been taught. I know that when I do shift without it, it does nothing out of the ordinary. I would recomend using it when down shifting or upshifting when under load, such as large hills, etc.

Jón

Last edited:

BPJNT

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2001
Using the brake to downshift is not necessary, but it is necessary to use the clutch when you up shift because the transmission has torque on the gears from the power of the engine.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Until recently I have been using the indicator when shifting sideways but then realised I didn’t have any so am now using the brake to shift up & the side-stand to get reverse.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Nice answer guys!!! Good for a few laughs...I like using my front brake for upshifts and my rear preload adjuster for downshifts (leave the wrench on it so nuts are easy to turn).

Seriously though, Most everyone I know (streetbike or dirtbike) doesn't use the clutch for upshifts but always uses it for downshifts. Just let off the gas a little to unload the tranny and shift. The airshifter on my friends drag bike works the same. When you push the shift button it just cuts the ignition for a split second while it shifts. Cutting the ignition gives it the same effect as letting off the gas.

Associate01

Jan 26, 2001
I said clutch....I don't know what you are talking about.....

and pay no attention to that little thing that says 'edited'....;)

Jón

Last edited:

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
I have always heard that when upshifting always use the clutch, and when
down shifting you don't have too. But I never use the clutch when downshifting going up a big hill I don't want to risk catching neutral,and
going down a big hill I always grab my front brake hard when shifting
if there's roots going across the hill..
I hope this is helpful:cool:

Bread

Mar 1, 2002
clutch

If riding hard, I hardly use the clutch to upshift. If you think about it, seems to me that jamming down on the shifter to downshift without the clutch would be alot harder on the gears without using the clutch. Also you stand the chance of gearing down too much in a turn and hopping the rear wheel right off the side of the mountain. As far as using the clutch to shift up...never had any problems here.

maicomotoman

Dec 16, 2001
Only use it for starts, stops, and to fan it to keep from stalling. Otherwise just click through the gears like it doesn't matter, because it doesn't. You won't hurt it. Rock on:aj:

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
I have used the clutch for every shift I have ever made. I had no idea that it was up for debate. That could save me some time.

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
matter of fact, I'm not sure I could teach myself to NOT use the clutch. Let's hear from Canadian Dave on which he prefers and why. Hey Dave, you out there?

Top Bottom