JASONV

Jun 2, 2003
JUST PURCHASED A '99 RM125. NOT MY FIRST BIKE, BUT MY FIRST BIKE WITH MAINTENANCE ISSUES!

WHEN I FIRST STARTED THE BIKE, I PULLED IN THE CLUTCH LEVER, KICKED IT DOWN INTO FIRST AND THE ENGINE STALLED AS IF THE CLUTCH LEVER WAS OUT. AFTER I RESTARTED THE BIKE, IT SEEMED TO BE OK?

I'VE SINCE NOTICED THAT THE CLUTCH LEVER PULLS RATHER EASILY AND DOSENT ENGAGE UNTIL THE LEVER IS ALMOST ALL THE WAY OUT AND THE THREADED ADJUST AT THE CLUTCH LEVER IS ALSO ADJUSTED ALL THE WAY OUT.

ALSO, WHEN YOU BRING THE BIKE TO A STOP, IN GEAR, WITH THE CLUTCH LEVER PULLED IN, IT SEEMS TO DRAG THE MOTOR DOWN QUICKER THAN IF IT'S IN NEUTRAL.

DOES THIS SOUND MEAN THE CLUTCH IS OUT OF ADJUSTMENT OR JUST WORN OUT? IF IT IS WORN OUT, WHAT PARTS SHOULD I REPLACE AND WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT TO PAY FOR REPLAMENT PARTS??

ANY IFORMATION WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS JASONV.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The rms have weak clutches and you have done well to last this long-most people go with a hard anodised setup like a Hinson assembly-however dont use kevlar plates on a hinson clutch as they dont work well.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Hi Jason - welcome to DRN. First piece of advice - don't use all caps as caps are used to scream things :)

Next, yes it sounds like the clutch may need some work if you have adjusted both the lever play and cable play and still have very little clutch play. I would pop off the clutch cover (usually have to remove the rear brake lever and take out several 8mm bolts on the clutch cover) and check it out. Next, remove the 10mm bolts in the clutch springs and take off the pressure plate (the bolts/springs hold the plate onto the inner hub). Now, remove the clutch plates (fibers and steels) and keep them in order. Inspect the baskets (inner and outer) for notching/grooves and inspect the plates for worn spots, burnt spots, cracks, chips, etc. Chances are that your basket(s) are notched up and need to be filed down or replaced. Depending on the condition of the plates, I would recommend replacing them, too (along with the springs).

These are guesses... if you need to replace everything: outer basket ($90-130), inner hub ($30-50), steel and fiber plates and springs ($80-120), pressure plate ($20-40), misc bearings, washers, gaskets, bolts, nuts ($10-40).

JASONV

Jun 2, 2003
Thank you all for your advice. It sounds like a frustrating, uphill battle...But, I have a hammers, torches and CA$H and I'm not afraid to use them! I will inspect the parts this weekend and see what's what.

JASONV

Jun 2, 2003
Wow. That's a smokin price! Those digital calipers will be very handy for micing the plate thickness...Thank's for the idea.

Top Bottom