INDSKYS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 31, 2002
hi all i am 39 and broke my right collarbone night before thx-giving :(. and spent thx-day in surgery (ti and screws )i dont know what caused break as i had no memory of crash . but i had a fox airframe on and the right shoulder pad was torn off completely from it. and facemask on helmet was broke.and my questions are - best protecting- chest protector ?. suggestions on re-hab exercises .also had 5 broken ribs and acquired a severe cold last week ,which has resulted in severe cughing re-breaks of ribs and movement of clav fracture lol does it ever get better? heheheh suggestions appreciatted-THX

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Whoa, sounds rough! Can't help with anything but moral support! Sorry to hear about your "episode." Wish you could remember more about the crash, but your mind probably blocked it out for a reason! Hang in there, try and enjoy your holiday, and good luck!

INDSKYS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 31, 2002
THX 4 moral support :) j boom do you have any suggestions on the best chest protector to help avoid rib and collarbone injuries?

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
For my son we use a fox protector but in addition we use something similar to a spider pad for football. Its a pad that is about 1/2" thick dense foam and starts just ender his pecs and goes up and over the sholders and goes down the back just below the sholderblades. PCS is working on their design of something similar right now. You might give them a call and see if you can get on of the first models.
My son recently crash tested the new unit. He came up short on a double and hit the bars so hard they pushed forward. He did several flips and landed on his back cracking his rear plate. Other than having the wind knocked out of him he only had a bruise about 1/2" on his back. I am sold and he will never ride without this extra padding.!! I'll work on getting some pics of the unit.

INDSKYS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 31, 2002
thx u 2 i know im expecting a lot from a protector but i dont bounce like i did at 20 yr old anymore. to think back on crashing and jumping off bike on jumps for fun.the irony of it all as youngters we wish to be older then we wish for eternal youth as we age (THOUGHT FOR THE DAY)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Sorry to hear about your crash! I broke my left collarbone for the second time last June. Both times were while riding dirt bikes, but 20 years a part.

A chest protector may help prevent broken ribs, but won't do much to help prevent a broken collarbone.

Do a search in this forum under "Collarbone" and "Chest Protector" and "PCS". Also do a search under the Product Review forum for the same keywords. Tons of good information and advice.

Good luck healing!

jaliveto

Apr 5, 2002
Sounds like your helmet may have come down and hit your collarbone. I've heard this is common. Look into the EVS neck brace or the PCS neck brace. Both are supposed to keep this from happening.

DezDuster

Sponsoring Member
Sep 19, 2002
Ouch! Broken ribs and a cold sounds brutal!
EVS neck protector and Acerbis Zoom two chest protector work great, but the Fox Airframe is a good unit too. They all have limits and it sounds like you severely tested them.

Mr. Mark

Jan 6, 2000
I broke my right clavicle in November this year and it seems to be healing well. I too have been looking for some type of protection other than the standard mx style chest protector which does nothing for side impacts to the shoulder. I was checking out hockey shoulder pads in a local sporting goods store when I happened upon lacrosse shoulder pads. They looked like just the ticket. Not too bulky like hockey pads. And they are designed for lots of arm movement. Around $50 for a nice set.

Mark

INDSKYS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 31, 2002
i have seen the bullriders vest now required + worn by prca cowboys after the lane frost accident.looks like a cross between a regular vest and a flak-jacket . it has real dense foam pad in it and would protect shoulder are ribs back everything. but it looks a bit bulky and costs 350.00 ouch . not many hockey shops in cal to find hockey items. i may have to try the vest on tho lol lot cheaper then my med bill was hahah thank you all for ideas !!!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by INDSKYS
i have seen the bullriders vest now required + worn by prca cowboys after the lane frost accident.looks like a cross between a regular vest and a flak-jacket . it has real dense foam pad in it and would protect shoulder are ribs back everything. but it looks a bit bulky and costs 350.00 ouch . not many hockey shops in cal to find hockey items. i may have to try the vest on tho lol lot cheaper then my med bill was hahah thank you all for ideas !!!
Coincidently I just went to my first rodeo yesterday. It was the Longhorn Championship Rodeo. Here in Michigan hockey gear stores are way more plentiful than bull-riding gear stores!

I did notice that most (if not all) bull riders were wearing padded leather vests. Looked like traditional cowboy vests, but bulkier. While it would probably help protect from some broken ribs and chest punctures from the bull horns, there was still a lot of open areas unprotected. I also noticed a few guys wearing metal cages over their faces. It probably goes against the cowboy macho thing, but I'd be wearing a full-face helmet with a metal cage, along with a full kevlar body suit!

I can't imagine a pissed, unpredictable, 2,000lbs animal with horns trying to violently whip me off his back. One guy was head-butted when the bull whipped his head back, just as the rider's head was whipped forward. Luckily his forehead hit the back of the bull's head dead-center. He was inches away from a horn being impaled into his forehead (no cage on this guy). Give me a throttle "I" can control any day!

Again, if you do a pretty thorough search on protective gear and preventing collarbone breaks, you'll find that there's not any gear out there that will sufficiently protect against most types of crashes that cause CB breaks. It will on a few, but not most. I wear a PCS neck brace now to prevent the helmet-type of break, and am looking to put together a hybrid between a good chest protector (Thor Aftershock) and hockey/lacross shoulder pads. I tried hockey pads, but they were too big, bulky, and hot (Bauer Supreme 5000). Lacross pads might be a good fit; I'll have to find/try out a set with my Thor chest protector.

Good luck!

INDSKYS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 31, 2002
WELL IVE JUST BOUGHT AN EVS NECK BRACE. AND ORDERED AN ARAI HELMET,YET TO DECIDE ON A NEW FLAK GUARD BUT THX FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP. UNFORTUNATELY DOC SAYS 6 MORE WEEKS TO HEAL. THE NEW CRF 250-F WILL BE OUT BY TIME I CAN RIDE. AN ILL HAVE TO LET MY 125 GO LOL

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom