racermx

May 20, 2000
I took my forks apart to change the seals. Now think I should go ahead and take out the compression stack to clean.

I need some instructions on how to make the "damping tube holder remover out of PVC". I don't have the the time or money to buy one from the dealer.

Or, is there another way to loosen the compression stack w/o the "holder" I wondered if I could just leave the spring guide in place and hold it by hand while I loosen the compression stack? Is that a bad idea? Any help would be greatly apprecitated!!
Thanks,
Jay

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Make sure you grind off the peening or you'll be buying a new compression adjuster, if you have never done it before just run it by a shop when its apart and most mechanic's or service managers will (probley) be happy to show you, or if you have a fork gold valve install sheet that will tell you.

------------------
Sage Wilkinson, KDX Link 1

John Curea

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 29, 2000
Racer
I agree with Marcus, use an impact wrench, something with about 250ft lbs. rating. Even with that sometimes I have to use a breaker bar to jar it loose first.

Do a search on this forum under "bible", I believe this is where Jeremy did a complete step by step procedure on fork teardown and assembly.

Take care, John

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Be sure to slam it back into the garage floor a few time to re-peen the end of it and put enough locktight on it to run all over the valve stack. :p

------------------
Sage Wilkinson, KDX Link 1

Top Bottom