Delgaty

Mar 30, 2009
I bought a compression tester the other day and did a test tonight. First off I think it's completely retarded that you pretty much have to take the gas tank off to get the tester into the head. So I got it in pretty tight, gave her about 15 kicks and the best I could get was 115 psi. I had the fuel turned off and the air filter off, though I don't think that should affect it. From what I hear I should have somewhere between 140 and 170 psi but I don't even know if I did the test right. I just bought the bike and haven't ridden it yet, but the guy rode it around his compound for me (I'm still learning to ride). Did I do the test right? I have no problem paying for a new piston, I talked the guy down quite a bit from his asking price so a couple hundred for new parts isn't too bad, but it would just suck if I can't ride this weekend.

Thanks,
Ryan

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Getting it in there "pretty tight" vs having it properly installed could be an issue. As far as the test once it's screwed in properly just like the spark plug would be then just hold the throttle wide open and kick it over until the gauge doesn't move any longer. I'd expect it to be between 150-190. Unless I find a track open there is a good chance we will be at Seddon's on Sunday if you happen to be in the area.

Delgaty

Mar 30, 2009
Chili said:
Getting it in there "pretty tight" vs having it properly installed could be an issue. As far as the test once it's screwed in properly just like the spark plug would be then just hold the throttle wide open and kick it over until the gauge doesn't move any longer. I'd expect it to be between 150-190. Unless I find a track open there is a good chance we will be at Seddon's on Sunday if you happen to be in the area.

OK good news. I'll turn the gas on next time and try it again properly. If it checks out OK I'll be riding on the floodway Saturday and if I don't have anything going on Sunday I'll hopefully make it out to Seddon's for some more seat time! You guys usually ride the bowl or do you check out other places?

Thanks!
Ryan

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Don't turn the gas on just hold the throttle wide open. Be careful at the floodway, in certain spots they were pretty aggressive about enforcing the no riding thing because of the construction, not sure what they were like this winter for the sleds but I know the kid got chased out of there last summer. Seddon's we usually park at the bowl and start there until boredom hits and then we start exploring. My son will likely spend a bunch of time on top of the bowl practicing in the sand for our second race of the year in Melita as it's a deep sand track. He was there tonight and said the riding was good. If you come out look for a beat up 93 Ranger (charcoal) with an early 40's fat guy with a KX450F and a 20 year old kid with a KX250F, no numbers on the bikes yet (waiting for plastic kits to arrive).

Top Bottom