Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
little, tiny, itty bitty
He has to use those words a lot when describing himself....

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
HAHAHAHAHAHA, ROTFLMBO :confused: I have the chair done, and I have the tiles done and it looks mediocore at best, but I am learning alot. I need to do some lighting with tiles but I havent dont anything with channels and I think thats how you did the lighting? and I got rid of those ugly roses :D

G

GlowMe

Thump, do you have a web site where we can see your work? Also, have you seen Digital Blaphemy? Very good site and great pictures.
:think

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Not as great as it seems....

Hello to all,
Ive been doing professional level color/retouching for the past 12 years, and have to admit, that the business is not at all what it used to be. The majority of my work is done for Tiffany&CO in NYC, and Clinique. If you check out the Tiffany.com site, you will see approx over 1000 images I have retouched for them. They are a very cool company to work with, giving you almost all of the time you need to complete a project.
It used to be easy to charge a client 300-400 per hour for imaging work, but these days, in this city-forget it. There are so many small design shops, (boutiques), and "artists" are a dime a dozen, you can get almost anything done for half the price. Its very cut-throat here, and your only as good as your last project. The sad part of the matter is if your in any line of print work, expect to either be really good, and employed, or be out of a job. I have worked with so many people that were very good at what they did, only to be laid off because of ad revenues being so down, or companies not meeting quarterly expectations. Even the best operators have been tossed on the scrap heap.
For the last few years, seeing where this industry is going, I have started taking a new direction towards web design, and video streaming. Im not into programming. Thats where the big bucks are. However I love laying out UI's, and creating killer web graphics, and motion graphics. I find the free lance work to be plentiful, and profitable, compared to working for someone else. My best advice to anyone would be that if you can start your own gig, go for it! I have never liked working for anyone, and have most always not gotten what I expected out of my previous employers. I still work for a large company, make ok money, but most important, have the benefits that are very costly. Not trying to kill anyones buzz, but those are the facts, at least up here. I have a few images posted here
. Anyway, sorry if Im rambling on, but if I were looking into a new career, or doing it all again, Id move towards the web. Just my .02 cents.

Last edited:

CC_RIDER

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 15, 2001
Moo, your piece came out pretty darn good!

You may really have a future in this. Work towards it!

The animals are a little cheesey though ! :p

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by GlowMe
Thump, do you have a web site where we can see your work? Also, have you seen Digital Blaphemy? Very good site and great pictures.
:think
I have some of my work herethis stuff is very old, new stuff should be up soon. And no I have not seen Digital Blaphemy... I will check it out.

Wayne0,
NYC is over run by "talent" You can do a job that will take you 6hrs and charge $1800 or some other less talented retoucher will bid the job at $800 and take 15hours to do it. Clients always like to go with the less expensive route.... You are correct though if you are not really good expect to either employed, or working at Kinkos. BTW you do some nice work.

Being with a company like mine time and quality is everything. Fast turn around and flawless on press. My billing rate is based off efficiency on the computer, meaning if I charged what other studios charge I would be WAY underbidding. The same way a good mechanic bases price on "book hours". All the work I do is for print with the exception of what I do for DRN. Print work is WAY more crittical than web work becaause you have to be versed in 4 color separation, spot colors and anticipate the press check to run up or pull out colors on the fly and you don't want the image to get nasty in that event....

As a freelancer I am certain I could double my salary but working for a company is comforting having security and benifits...

Wayne, if you want to come to Texas...we are hiring?

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Well I'm building a new Athlon 1.4 TB today that we picked up at a computer show. Having a few problems but there getting worked out in the morning after church. I also picked up a photoshop book and it looks pretty extensive, good reading material. And there not cheesy animals, there decorative lawn ornamentation...duh ;)

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
We spent $180 for 1.4 athlon 266 buss and a heatsink, $40 for a 256 stick of DDR ram, $50 on a 400 watt case, And $150 for an Asus mother board, and like $150 on a WD HD, a cd-rom, and floppy. We already had a raedeon 2 64mg card we through in there and for now were using the onboard sound :scream: Its will be a nice set-up when we get done with it, the brand new floppy was bad in it though :think

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Thanks Thump

Thump,
Likewise, you do some very nice work yourself!

You are right, there are so many Retouchers that will underbid a project just to get something inhouse. The problem is that after they've hacked the imaging to shreds, it eventually comes my way. Horrible masks, bleeding colors, repetitive cloning, all the signs of amateurish work. Always having to try and fix what should have never happened in the first place. Unfortunately, there are so many newbie "Art directors", they only know one thing: cheap! They havent cut their teeth on enough hackers to realize you get exactly what you pay for.
I just want to say, however, that I love my line of work. It just becomes hard to stay motivated when you see a 35 year old guy with 3 or 4 kids, getting laid off because of it being slow, not because he wasnt up to par. Or when the work coming in is a low quality junk. I luckily dont have to see too much of that. That takes alot out of you. My favorite type of project is doing compositions. That is usually the most time consuming, but always the most satisfying. IMO, the work you do is what keeps you motivated. If its monotonous, you will eventually become unhappy. If its creative, and requires digging deep into your brain for ideas, etc., well, thats what is the most fun.

On the other hand, its nice getting a little "bonus" from your CLIENTS that appreciate what you've done for them throughout the year!

Thump, Id like to hear what kind of $ is being offered down there. Besides, the riding situation is making me ill here!

KTMKyd

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 20, 2001
OK, I've been fooling with this since yesterday, and trying to get it close to your's Thump. I think I've got it just about right, click HERE to see it.

Tell me what you think.

P.S.
This here is what we call good 'ole American Ingenuity :p

KTMKyd

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 20, 2001
Oh Hey Moo, I mess around in graphics alot and if you do it alot, you should get comfortable with more than one program. Here are some other I use in conjunction with eachother:
  • ULead PhotoImpact
  • Microsoft Image Composer
  • PaintShop Pro

PhotoImpact is real good, It's very point and click, alot like PhotoShop, but it has more options and a butt load of Filters.
You can do some interesting background work with it like THIS and THIS . I know the Text quality sucks, I'm just trying to show you some of the lighting and things you can do with it.

The other two programs are good for general purpose editing.

Hope that helps even a little :)

YZ85er

Aug 8, 2001

What programs doo yall use for this..Photoshop.. is there anywhere i can get thid for free??? like maby one of yall email it too me :)

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by KTMKyd
OK, I've been fooling with this since yesterday, and trying to get it close to your's Thump. I think I've got it just about right, click HERE to see it.

Tell me what you think.

P.S.
This here is what we call good 'ole American Ingenuity :p
Yeah, it looks good... Looks so good I I will claim it as my own.

KTMKyd

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 20, 2001
Hey yz85er,

Pirating software is even worse then what I just did to Thump! :confused:

I'm sure you can find it real cheap on ebay since I know you used to be able to get it free in special promo type things. If you buy a Snappy card I know it comes with it. But that's more expensinve than scrounging around on ebay :)

Hope that helps :cool:

Top Bottom