MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Well, our computer has been acting a little funky lately and we figured it was because we have little ram left. Well, Monday I went to defrag it, well you first have to run ScanDisk on the drive that your going to defrag. Well, drive C will not run the ScanDisk, wont even start it. After 10 times an error appears saying its restarted 10 times and that something is running off of that drive there for not allowing it to run ScanDisk. Well, seeing how that's the only program open under that drive I'm lost here. Also if I try and scan it for a virus the virus program closes its self out before the scan is complete, also I don't know why. One other thing. . .this error pops up when you first start the computer in DW.exc (or is it DW.exe not 100% there). I know I was rambling on there and don;t make a lot of sense but if any one can help me out here that would be great! :worship:

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
Do you have a screen saver that comes on while you try to run scandisk? Sometimes that will trigger it to restart. Don't have much else to suggest. Sorry.

Susan

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Nope shut off the screen saver.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
all programs were quit out befor running. . .how do you get in to safe mode. If I rember you hit f2 or something like that at start up.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Thanks Ill give that and the other things on that site a try.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
I would continue looking for a worm or virus as the problem.  I thought I remembered seeing something about one that prevents your antivirus software from launching.  There are a number of worms that prevent .EXE files from starting.   

You may have to run anti-virus from a floppy or CD-Rom, since your hard drive version has been corrupted and won't launch. 

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
What OS you running? Whats ole Dr Watson saying in the error? DW.exe is usally an NT, Win 2K think.
Yeah, that scan disk behavior is normal and makes it more or less worthless on the system dirve. Scan disk dose not live on Win 2K systes, Check disk dose, or chkdsk.exe. Check disk can be run from the dos prompt or command line of win 98 too if I recall. Also under the scan disk options in Win 9X I think there was an option to run at boot time, thats how you want to run it. If you can find the option find your autoexec.bat file under the C:\ drive and open it with note pad. Add a line to it that says call scandisk.exe, save and reboot. Once scandisk runs and finishes boot and remove the entry from the autoexec.bat.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
definately try safe mode, another trick I woulod always try would be to put that drive into another computer, as a secondary, and let the other computer run scan disk on that drive.... of course I have the priveledge of having several computers laying arround.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Jason your speaking another language to me there. I tried safe mode it actually went about 3/4 of the way then I got that blue screen and my computer restarted. I don't have the CD for the virus program. . .it came on the computer otherwise I would try that. Oh also I got drive C to defragment after I attempted ScanDisk in safe mode. Wonder why it worked?

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
I've had the same problem running scandisk several times. What I've done is downloaded a small file that runs defrag DURING startup. It's worked every time I've tried it. If you'd like the file PM me or let me know. It's only 1.85K. I got it from www.pcpitstop.com

Jeremy

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
I assume you have a Windows 98 OS. Have you got a startup disk (floppy)? If not, create one (I think you go to the control panel, add remove programs, create startup disk). If so, put it in your floppy disk drive and boot your PC. Once you get to the DOS prompt type scandisk c:

This will scan your hard drive and you won't have any problems with other programs running in the background interfeering.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
I have windows ME, and the problem is there are no other programs running what so ever yet it will not run. Ive tried it in safe mode in DOS and under the start up disk. I'm lost. I think its a bug in the ScanDisk program its self?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
LOL, yeah, ME is pretty bad, even MS dose not recomend running it! I think ME is built on the 9X kernel so windows 98 boot disk will work. Yeah there was an issue with scandisk running in windows mode. The OS and the scandisk program itself would cause it to not finish running.
If your not really confortable running scandisk or chkdsk from a DOS prompt then I would get some help from someone else. Also, check that your C drive is not full. Defrag needs some room to work with for swapping.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
All thoe what dosn't make sense is why it worked just last time I used scandisk, now it dosn't. No there is not alot of memory left on drive C but it did defragment so I'm not worried about that any more. Just why scandisk wont run now and what this DW error is?

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
How much room is left on the C dirve? What is the DW error verbage? If scandisk fails to complete it could be the drive is going or gone. Chkdsk.exe should be able to verify the disk integrity for you even if scan disk fails.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
On drive C out of 15.9 GB's there's 7.35 GB's left, that shuld be plenty for it to run correct? Also what do you mean by the error verbage? It says something along the lines of "an error in DW.EXE has occured and will now close." I'll try and check the integrity of the disk. I belive its fine as the only weird things with out computer is ScanDisk and and this DW error.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
I ran the Chkdsk.exe and It says:
"CHKDSK has NOT checked this drive for errors.
You must use SCANDISK to detect and fix errors on this drive"

Then information on the drive specs.

Top Bottom