Kwackers

Sep 15, 2000
A cautionary tale!

Fed up with the lack of enduro's due to foot and mouth disease here in the UK I took my KDX to a motorcross practice park with my son on his KX80 and my friend Steve and his KDX250. We had several warm up laps as we had never visited the park before and were just starting to get more confident. My son dropped his KX and broke the brake lever so I sent him of with the video to get some action shots and I returned to the track ready to give it my best shot. I came over the top of a tabletop and saw Steve stood at the side of the track. I stopped to see if he was OK but it turned out he had bashed his head and lost all of his short term memory. This was one of the wierdest experiences for both of us, he could remember who he was and knew who I was but nothing from the last few months, he kept asking where he was, what year it was, what day it was and could not believe he was riding a KLX as he could not remember buying it. He asked the same questions over and over , literally every five minutes for three hours never remembering that he had just asked them. I thought I had escaped from this interrogation when I finally delivered him to his wife at the A&E dept (the first thing she asked was whether he could remember he was married), but then he kept ringing me at home from hospital asking the same questions until he ran out of money. He was discharged the next morning but it took two full days before his memory returned and he still cannot remember the accident or the next few hours. As far as I can work out he overjumped a tabletop did an endo and landed on his head, he seems to think that instead of building up speed on the jumps it is quicker to go too fast and back off until it stops hurting, I think I will stick to the more traditional method though.
Has anyone else come across such a total and complete memory loss due to a MX accident ?

------------------

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I have had a similar experience with a concussion. Hit in the head by my own bike. It actually takes a couple of weeks for the fog to start clearing. I went back to work the next week and could not remember conversations I had just had with work associates on the phone or face to face. That is embarassing. Tell him to take it easy and don't try to hard to get right back into work. Make sure the doctors pronounce him fit to ride again.

------------------
you never really learn to swear until you learn to ride.

MXbabe

Oct 9, 2000
I got a slight concussion about a year ago on my husband’s yz250. It wasn't as bad as your friends but I didn't know where I lived or who my husband was for a little while. My husband told me that I kept asking the same questions over and over. Later that evening things started coming back and turned out to be okay.

It is scary going through that.

Also, I took this guy to the hospital that crashed really hard and he kept asking me the same questions over and over too. I just kept answering him every time he asked.

------------------

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I got a nice concussion snowboarding about 2 years back. 70 foot gap, nice icy landing and about 40 mph. Well it didn't go to good, got in the air ok, landed ok (so I thought), board slipped out from under me and WHAM!!! busted my nose, knocked myself out. 2 weeks in bed and killer headaches. I had no idea who I was, or where I was. Or why the hell I was snowboarding. Things started to clear up in about 2 weeks, but I wear a helmet anytime I do anything that I might smack my head. Snowboarding, wakeboarding, dirtbiking (obviously). The one thing that sticks in my mind was, how scary it was not to remember who I was, or where I was. That had to be the worst part....

------------------
'91 RM 250

wroof

Sep 6, 2000
i had a concussion once, flipped twice on my bike then next thing, i was back at the tent lying down, felt really nauseas and really really sleepy, and kept asking the same questions over n over again. the feeling was somewhat like a major hangover.

It happened to this other friend of mine to, cased on a tabletop. he kept asking the same questions. where am i? what am i doing here? and the funny thing was for no apparent reason he kept thinking we were angry at him.
we started to avoid him a bit coz he was asking the same questions 50 times in an hour....

------------------

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
I hit another bike head-on (coming the other way on a fast blind turn).When I came to, there was about 6 guys standing around me, my brother was trying to pick me up. I broke my arm, got whip lash of the neck, and had a concussion,(in full gear). My brother rode with me in the ambulance to the hospital, he said I asked the same questions over and over. He said he told me like 15 times that I had broke my arm,(the bone was pushing through the skin), but when we got to the hospital the nurse asked me what was wrong, I told her I had a broken leg...(he still ribs me about it) The mind is a terrible thing to waste!

------------------

AMA
BRC

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
10 years ago I did something similar. I remember driving to the race, setting on the starting line. Still don't know if it was the first or second moto. Then... some medic looking at me as I was laying on the ground. I was so out of it that I punched the medic, got back on the bike and took off again! There had already been two or three classes on the track, but I didn't know it. My buddy says I asked what happened about a million times, (once they got me off the track) and keep telling him not to tell my wife as she would get mad! Needless to say. She was there, and very much aware of what was going on. Unlike me! The only thing I remember is walking back to where I thought we where pitted at and not being able to find my truck. I walked around until my buddy found me. I was in never never land on the other side of the pits from where we pitted at, or so I'm told. Don't remember going to the hospital or the two hour drive home. I wake up in the morning with the bra on, broken collar bone again to boot and the sound of my wife on the phone to her Mom. "Yeah, he broke his collar bone again"... Some things did come back, but it took months. Work was very difficult, couldn't remember peoples names, etc, and had a hard time focusing on what I was doing. The scary thing about a concussion is a blood clot can form in the brain, which can be bad news. Don't mess around with this type of injury! Keep the person awake, and get them to the hospital as quickly as possible.

------------------

lancec

Feb 18, 2001
Had a very similar experience...
my friend fall off after landing from a table top and i think he lost some blocks of memory...he forgot my name and where he lives...

He keep asking the same question "Where am i" "what am i doing here" "how did i fall" "can you bring me home?" so many times that we were all quite pissed.

You tell him to remember something he will forget the next moment....after bringing him to the hospital...warded for 1 night and the next morning he regian all his memory....
but he forgot everything that happened that day.

wroof>>>
you must be carmen right?

------------------

wroof

Sep 6, 2000
yea lance

so when is it gonna be your turn to ask 50 questions in a row?
:p

------------------

[This message has been edited by wroof (edited 04-18-2001).]

Kwackers

Sep 15, 2000
Sounds like this is a common injury, and the constant questions is very familiar. One week on and Steve has now regained most of his memory but cannot remember riding or the rest of the day when I took him to hospital. He is impatient to get back on the same track to see if it will remind him.

------------------

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Kwackers:
A cautionary tale!

This was one of the wierdest experiences for both of us, he could remember who he was and knew who I was but nothing from the last few months, he kept asking where he was, what year it was, what day it was and could not believe he was riding a KLX as he could not remember buying it. He asked the same questions over and over , literally every five minutes for three hours never remembering that he had just asked them.

Kwakers

I didn't read your post until today. I had EXACTLY, EXACTLY the same thing happen to me. I was riding my (new to me) 1987 CR250 in November of 1987, and I went over a whoop, crashed and hit my head on the face of a sand whoop. I was knocked out for about a minute. My brother raced over to me and just diched his bike to attend to me. When I woke up I saw my bike and asked whose bike it was, he told me it was mine. I then asked what year it was, then I just couldnt believe I owned a bike of the current year. He then got me up and put me on his 125 because he didn't think I should be riding anything let alone a 250. I raced back to the trailer (which I still dont remember) and somehow found myself sitting on the trailer. When my bro arrived I started asking him what the date was, over and over again. He loaded up the bikes and then I went to get into the drivers seat to drive us home, he slid me aside and said he would do the driving. He didn't have a licence, but it was best that he did the driving. I then asked him the date so much that he ended up writing it on a piece of paper and told me to look at it whenever I wanted to know. We also had to go over my aunts house that night for a party. My little brother was put incharge of keeping me out of trouble in my "deminished" condition. I couldn't remember anything that happened in about the past 4 months. It took me about 3 days to get it all back.

Reading your post sounded so familiar, that is exactly how it happened to me!

------------------

Top Bottom