MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Well, this is only the second time I've torn into my '82 yz100, and well really my first time because my father did most of the work before. Its sat for a little over a year with a bad top end and me with bad knees, know my knees are "better" and I'm allowed to ride again. So it is time to make my 100 better as well. Well, I have purchased all the parts I believe I need (piston, rings, pin, circlips, gaskets, needle baring, ect) Well I had the bore measured and honed and that's all set and fine for the rebuild. Now for the problem, there is what I feel and excessive amount of play in the connecting rod, about (from center) 1/8" either way. If I pull it to TDC and try pulling up and down I get a very minute amount of play barley able to detect it. But What do you think I should do? I'm out of money as I just bought all those parts and am afraid if I just slap it together I could smoke the top? Am I just overly worrying here or do I have a real problem? :(

Oh on a side note what kind of assembly lube/oil should I be using? For example on the needle baring?

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I would think about rebuilding the bottom end. Not having a manual in front of me to compare specs 1/8th " side to side seems excessive(or is it 1/4" from side to side) and any felt up and down is too much also.

CRSpeedy

Nov 24, 2002
If you can feel 'any' up and down movement with just your hands it is too much. I don't say that from experience myself but mechanics laughed at me when I said "I need a whole new crank because of that tiny bit of movement?" That's the problem with me doing the work myself, everything looks good to me. If in doubt let a mechanic you trust look at it.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Well, I had a friend who was a mechanic at a shop near my check it out. He said it wasn't enough side to side to worry about and he couldn't feel any up and down movement niter could my dad (maybe that was all in my head? :think: ). Although he did say next rebuild I should look into rebuilding the bottom as it will most likely need it by then. I just hope he's right and the motor doesn't blow as I have already reassembled it. :worship:

Top Bottom