TRX55

Sep 9, 2002
I have a 95kx250 that i mostly race harescrambles with. The bike is mostly stock except for a gnarly pipe and a flywheelweight. I've had the bike for about 2.5 yrs. It's in pretty well maintained condition, the only problem is the cylinder plating is coming off, which from what i heard is a common failure on the older kx's. I've just been putting a new piston and rings just to get by for now. I'am just a little hesitant to put another $350+ into an old bike that in the past year i've allready put about a grand in the suspention and motor. I just need to know if the newer kx250's from 98 to 01 have that much better of a performance package than my 95. This would really help on deciding which way to go.. thanks...........

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
They might be a little better, the ergonomics are revised, but the quality is the same. You'll still have problems with cylinder plating unless it's been replated already. If you look at any 2000's make sure that the bottom end bearing has already been replaced by an upgraded part.

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
If you were looking for the best and most noticeable KX update, purchase the '03. If your strapped for money, the '98-01 our good machines as well. If you check out your Kawasaki dealer there is a $500 dollar rebate, a free Pro Circuit Works Pipe and 0,0,0 til Jan '04 financing available till the end of March available on '03 KX250's. Might be worth checking out...

TRX55

Sep 9, 2002
I'am really trying to get out of debt right now and i'am not too fond of financing something i'am just going to be putting money into constantly just to keep it in good condition, as i'am sure you know harescrambles tear a bike up pretty quick. I do appriciate you telling me about it though. I do like the styling of the 03 and the mags say alot of good things about it also. I'll let some time go by and see how many pros and cons are said about the bike first and if i do decide to keep mine and fix the problems it has. mabye i'll hunt down a used 03 in a year or so. Thanks..............

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Sounds like a good plan to me, personally I'd wait to get a used '03. They fixed a lot of annoyances that the '02 and prior models had.

ps2112

Jan 27, 2003
For what it's worth. I just bought a '99 KX250. It has a Pro Circuit pipe, V-Force reeds, brand new plastic, Devol frame guards, Devol shark fin, Boysen clutch and fly wheel covers, O-ring chain, new sprockets, runs real strong. It needed a rear tire however. I paid $2000 for it. It's very competitive with the newer bikes, I won my first moto in +30 class. I've noticed there aren't many KX's at the races so a person should be able to pick one up for a reasonable price.

TRX55

Sep 9, 2002
I wish i could find a deal like that here in the east, mostly stock kx250's cost around $2700 and up for a 99 or 00. I actually paid $2500 for my totally stock 95kx250 2.5yrs. ago and it had about 60 total hrs. from new. I thought that was a pretty good find except for the price. Have you had any older kx's to compare your newer one to? As far as power and suspention, because mine has the smaller 43mm forks compared to the 46mm they used after 95. I was just wondering if they feel more stable and track a better line. Any info would help thanks............

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The newer bikes are usually nicer, but I know your 95 would still do the job. If you can spend 400.00 and get another year out of it, that is a bargain! that is less than 50.00 per month. Less money than the interest on a new one. Sure, no interest for 6 months, but the 6 months finally gets there.

I have a friend that still owes 5600.00 on his "interest free" 02!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom