snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Becarefull if you have pets. They are attracted to the sweet smell and taste of ethyl-glycol. It's poisonous if they ingest it.

Don't know if it is poisonous too grass though. ;)

Last edited:

psustang89

Jun 22, 2006
Ethylene Glycol is very stable and should not harm your grass. What it will do is make the soil more basic (higher pH). There are some plants that do not do too well in soil at higher pH's. You'll have to check on that one, I'm a chemist, not a botanist. Definitely flush it well with water to protect any critters you have running around.

Nov 28, 2006
Thanks for the replies! Yeah I flushed it out with a hell of a lot of water since the book says that water will wash it off my bike. I figured it was basic by the feel of it, but I didn't know for sure. And I dont have any pets, so that's not too much of a problem.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Any wild animals or neighbors pets could be an issue. I'm suprised in Kalifornia they didn't have an EPA SWAT team storm your house.

psustang89

Jun 22, 2006
Ya, water will kill grass too. Ever hear that too much of anything is bad? Plus, if you coat a plant with any chemical, and don't wash it off, it will die. Common sense...

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Boiling hot coolant will definitely kill grass. If someone fills a cabin toilet with antifreeze and leaves the lid up for your dogs to drink, it will cost about $1,200 and result in very drunk dogs when the vet releases them four days later. Evergreen bushes thrive on antifreeze/water mix.

Just some factoids I have learned over the years.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Tell me about it !! Not my toilet. I was just under the cabin trying to turn on the electricity when I heard my dogs lapping away. I went up to see what was going on and I couldn't frickin' believe someone would put in ethyl glycol in the toilet and leave the frickin' seat up. I spent my whole vacation budget on the vet bill and sat around eating baloney sandwiches for four days while they enjoyed an Everclear IV drip. I was a bit jealous of that, as I had to ingest my orally.

Top Bottom