TN.220

Feb 17, 2002
I have a 97 KDX 220. I'm getting coolant in my gear oil. The local
dealer said it's most likely the water pump leaking. I ordered the
parts and rebuilt the pump. ( all new seals, o-ring & bearing )
My question is how long will it take to work the moisture out of
the gearbox ( how many oil changes ) and if the waterpump
rebuild doesnt fix my problem where else could the coolant be
getting into the oil from? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KamikaziRida

Dec 30, 2001
What I would do is, fill it up with fresh oil and then crank it up and let it warm for 10 or so minits, then drain it, and let it drain for an hour or so, and that should get the majority of the oil out, and the rest woulden't hert anything (not positive on that)

arequipe

Mar 29, 2001
Had the same problem. It was the water pump shaft (actually the retainer behind it).

You can tell If your problem is fixed doing this:

take the cap of the radiator off and make sure the level is ok. with the cap off, start the bike and let it warm up. After 2 or 3 minutes, everything should look ok (that is, the coolant should still be green). If it turns milky, something's still wrong.
What else could it be? it could be as bad as having cracked your engine.....

dont think so though.
let us know

Bread

Mar 1, 2002
If your seals fixes the coolant in the case problem, to clear moisture you could fill the case with kerosene(I know sounds bad) and just kick it over a time or two and drain that out. I had to do this once from dropping it in a river, but I would also suggest filling the whole case with oil and letting it set for a while if you use the kero. You cant beat it for getting moisture out but I worry that it strips the oil from between the plates, hence filling it full of oil. Drain it again, put some more oil in and run it for a little bit.

But if you just drain it and let it sit with the plug out for a little bit, run some oil through it, fill it to level and ride it for a little bit you should be ok. It may fog the window a little bit but if you change your gear oil regular you'll get it all out.

KamikaziRida

Dec 30, 2001
Well, I had the same thing happen to me, it's not fun.

And Arequipe he said how long will it take to get he moisture out the gear box, that is just something to see if the waterpump is leaking after he changes the stuff out, just to let you know.

And TN.220, good luck with your problem and hope everything gets better with it.

TN.220

Feb 17, 2002
Arequipe,
I did notice little dropletts of oil ( at least thats what it
looked like ) in the coolant when i noticed the problem.
I haven't done any ugly dismounts lately or remember
anything that could have cracked the engine. Unless
it just cracked on its on. It runs really good so maybe
thats not it.
By the way Bread, I'm glad to know I'm not the only
one thats dropped in a river! I knew better than to
cross it but everyone else did & stupidity took over!!
After 30 min of draining and drying I wont do that again!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom