Cooperland Raceway, Stillwater, OK

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I had to start the day working but was able to get to Cooperland by 12:15. They were having a full blown practice session. Thump had already left and missed a groomed track. Met up with OKKX'r and Casey and started the practice. They had changed the course a bit and the new jump was awsome. There were 100 plus riders there so the corners began to rut up pretty good but had multiple lines. A couple of the jump faces got pretty "combed" out but were still doable and safe.
The new jump was a step up with a rounded tabletop right after it the dropped off into the ravine. These two jumps were a blast. Hit them in fourth gear with moderate throttle and fly. The landings were so smooth it was almost like you didn't leave the ground. There was a step down double that I saw quite a few riders do but I rolled it. It was the only one that I did not feel comfortable with. This was followed by a off camber left hander up hill. Once you topped the hill you had a pretty good run at the 60 foot uphill double. I was making the top consistantly but was not making the landing side. Next was a sweeping right hander that took you back down hill. The hairpen left at the bottome of the hill was cratered with braking bumps. This left hander had about 4 lines. The first(inside) became a peg deep rut that was a bit difficult. The second and third lines were rutted but more manageable. This led to a double, then a long uphill whooped up run at top speed. A slight right hander the led to a 90 degree right hander and the tabletop finish line.
After several practices, we loaded up and went to the 500 for some trail riding. OKKX'r had diffinitely got his woods skills honed in. He was rippin' thru the trees like he was on fire. I had a blast at both places and if DW02 happens here in Oklahoma, the rest of you guys will see what I mean.
There were two things that happened today that were not quite fun. I pulled off my first ever "whip" and NO ONE saw it.:ugg: The second was getting roosted by Guy Cooper on his 520. Fortunately, it was easy to hear him coming on my six so I just got the @#$% out of the way. The cost of the practice was worth seeing Cooper take some of the obstacles like there was nothing there. Cooper is the "King" of off camber. :aj:
Everyone is encouraged to put a vote in for Cooperland for DW02.:)

Last edited:

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Picture this: sweeping 90 degree corner, hugging a hillside, not over 15 feet wide, at least 20 degrees below level.Throw in rocks, holes, loose dirt piles. 20 feet before anyone else, Guy pitches the 520 sideways, opens the throttle, and rides a big wheelie still sideways 40 feet around this corner. Not what we see everyday around here.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Not what we see everyday around here.

That's an understatement.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Thanks for the info Brian.
The 500 is 6 miles away? Do people ride over or what?
I'd really like some details about the woods and HS course at Guy's ...

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I rode the trails at the race park and they are pretty good. I have not riden at Guy's place. The 500 is 6 miles away down dirt county roads. Access to the 500 would be $5 per person for a special event like DW.

Top Bottom