Jeffro426

Mar 16, 2003
Hey guys, i just bought a yz426 last week (upgraded from a xr 250!! WOW!!!) and ive pretty much got jumping down (20-40 foot tables, triples and doubles) and am feeling fairly comfortable on it but im having trouble keeping my speed up in the corners...i have this bad feeling that im going to fall over, or the bike will slip out from underneith me. Im not a very tall guy 5'7 so putting my foot out to keep me upright doesnt work too well due to my short legs. I keep up great with the better guys on the track in the jumps and straights, its just turns are not agreeing with me, but then they never really have...any advice??

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
One of the techniques I find effective in better cornering is keeping some level of throttle applied. I'm not saying be wide open, but as long as there is some power being delivered to the rear it seems the 426 just turns better.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
look through the corner, where you want to go and not just past the front fender. Elbows up. If you are afraid of falling you'll go slower. It just takes practice

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
I feel that when you put weight with your foot on the outside peg, elbow up, it gives the feeling that you are sticking the bike in, so the slide feeling feels more stable... practice.....I just got my first ride in 4 months (snow) and boy was I rusty...My weakest point yesterday was cornering as well... just practice...

Luft

Dec 24, 2002
I find taking the wider line through the corner maintains speed better. I look ahead to a target for braking and then to one for accelerating. Rolling on the power out of the turn helps too. Definitely look ahead and not to the ground.

Rich250F

Jun 11, 2002
I have been personally stuggling with this part of riding for some time now and here is what advice I have found actually works. As said above, look where you want to go not at your front fender. Example: in a left corner, press down on the right foot peg with majority of your weight, at the same time press your right knee hard against your tank, this lowers your center of gravity on the bike as well as adds to rear tire traction. Slide forward on the seat until your peanuts are touching the tank, this gives weight to the front tire (more traction). Slightly shift your arse to the right side of your seat while keeping your upper body more vertical then the angle of the bike, again this balances the bike better. Last but not least, on a 4 stroke for sure, do all of your brakeing before entering the corner. Once you have slowed to a comfortable speed begin turning with the gas being re-applied, once your bike begins to straighten out of the turn, hammer the gas.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I teach a off-road motorcycle safety class for kids under 16. It's the law in Utah that they have to take it to ride on public lands. Anyway, one of the biggest things I'm always harping on and trying to drill into them is to look way up and look way past the exit of the turn.

I find that when I go out and practice what I preach, it is the single biggest thing that I or anyone can do to improve corner speed. If you can look all the way down the next straight or into the next corner, all of the other stuff seems to fall into place. Instead of looking at the bike and how much it is leaned over and where you are sitting on the bike, you just feel it and your turning becomes very fluid.

Just work on that single thing and see if all of the other tips begin to fall into place.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Cool tip MX, I'll give that a try. I know that often times I do find myself looking at the bike too much and not what's coming up. And also thanks for teaching that class, I took it years ago and my little brother took it last year, the instructor was great. :thumb:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
When and where did he take the class? Do you remember who his instructor was? I always teach at Jordan River.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
It was September 2001 at Jordan River. The guy that he took the class from had a big Husqvarna 4-Stroker w/ electric start, I can't remember his name though. I ran with the class with him, I thought it was taught well. It was suprising how many couldn't even shift, turn, or BRAKE!!! :)

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Woops, I ran THROUGH the class with him.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
You wouldn't believe the number of kids that show up that can't use the clutch or really even control the bike in any manner.  I can't blame the parents though.  The law clearly states that the kid can't ride on public property without the class, so if they don't have access to private property or skirt the law, how else is the kid going to learn? 

Then, you wouldn't believe the bikes that show up.  Again, can't really blame folks, they buy what they can afford, but teaching that course to a kid riding a clapped out '70 Honda Trail 90    :scream: :eek:

For example:
Honda Trail 90

Last edited:
Top Bottom