MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I'd have to say noway honda doesn't sell its works bikes to the public like that they get the crusher or rot in a the honda warehouse. Don't be fooled by the works type forks honda sold those to the public for awhile in 95 and the graphics I think the graphics were sold by 100%.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Isn't that an OEM pipe on there? Wouldn't a "Works bike have something more, oh, I don't know 'worksish'?

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Papakeith I noticed the pipe myself. I thought maybe the "works" pipe was smashed. But I don't know something seems fishy about this bike. :think:

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
The pipe is fishy but the forks sure look like they have quite a bit of works components on the outside but the only real way to tell would be to take em apart. The front axle blocks on the fork are not stock and the top caps are definitly of the works variety. The sticker kit was available through Throttle Jockey but I am pretty sure you could not get the riders name thats on the tank from them as I tried to buy the McGrath sticker back in the day for my 94 CR 250 and they were not available to the public. It sure looks like it has been stored away for a while, I would e-mail him and ask him where he got it. Most of the time the riders get to keep their practice bikes which look like their race bike but do not have the works supension on them, just some good aftermarket stuff usually.

Jake T

Mar 23, 2000
Correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure I saw a pic of Tortelli's bike
and the pipe had a OEM look to it. I also think I read somewhere that Team
Honda runs custom pipes or something and they only LOOK stock.
Once again, correct me if I'm wrong.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Roostmaker you are right, it's just usually they are baremetal, I have a feeling this was sprayed black to stop rust??
Also is that airbox truly carbon fibre? Or are those decals? I can't tell but it looks real to me :eek:

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
I think you'd need to see the triple clamps, hubs, spokes. shock linkage, look for a frame number, check the cases for a number, check the sprockets, you get the idea. If you examine it in person and you've spent some time around MX bikes, you could tell whether it had any unobtanium on it. It probably has no collector value unless it is accompanied by some certificate of authenticity. A true works bike probably wouldn't make it out of Honda's hands, but a practice bike might. I have seen a few well known practice bikes around. A dealer in Bremerton had Tallon Vohland's KX125 not long ago and I'm pretty sure it was legit. Lance Smail gets to keep and sell his practice bikes. I doubt it's really his race bike.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
The airbox isn't carbon fiber as if you look closely you can see the white airbox under the seat. I'm suprised it looks like the pipe and silencer are OEM. It could be, but it might not be.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Well I e-mailed him and asked him is the air-box was carbon fiber or if they are decals and if the pipe and silencer are OEM or factory. Will post reply as soon as he e-mails me back.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So it's a well worn '95 CR250. What's the plan when the engine needs service? Stock parts I guess because it sure won't get HRC pieces. Suspension worth OVER $10K? :think: I think I'll pass.

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
If you seriously want to buy it, and he has a reserve that is more than a bike of that year is worth(in present condition), just ask him for a signed affadavit that the bike was purchased from whoever and that it is gauranteed to be a factory Honda bike. If you get no response, just piss it off. I sell lots of stuff on E-bay, it's a very good place to get rid of things you don't want anymore or mistakes someone else can make. I post everything there in it's actual condition for what it is. A few weeks ago I sold my Acerbis "orange crush" plastic for my 426 there. I said it's like new, 2 rides, boot rubs, refelective tape like factory(which I put on) and it sells for $5.50 less than brand new and I charge shipping, which Acerbis didn' :) t when I bought it. It's probably just some yahoo trying to pass something off for something it is not. But if he'll give you it in a written contract, he's liable. He has to prove it came from where he says it did. Sounds like a legal peeing match in the making to me.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I believe I'd have thrown a tarp at least over my $10k worth of suspension before I chucked it out into the barn :think:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
didnt the cr250 forks get recalled in 95? if so, this might explain why it has aftermarket type fork materials on it. would any 95 works bike be any better than a current 2000 and newer model, probably not since all that works suspension will be setup too stiff for most mortals any way! (and also someone with different weight etc.)

Jh85

May 17, 2001
What do you expect from "elvisonamoped"? :confused:

If someone can get the VIN wouldn't it have a different # than a normal 95 CR?
Also aren't works bikes designated with different model name? I remember hearing that Honda factory bikes are really RCs not CRs......something like that.......
:think:

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Guy Cooper has several of his old race bikes. Not practice bikes. He once sold a bike, pictures, helmet and Jersey for $12,000. To a collector. he had over 20 zooks in storage.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
my first honda was one of guy's practice bikes. it was a '84 cr 125. i bought it in '85 at his parent's shop for $700. there is a pic of it in my gallery.

Top Bottom