dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
How do I get the counter shaft sprocket nut off of a YZ250. I assume that it's reverse thread, but I cant keep the wheel from moving even when in gear with brake on. I broke one torque wrench and one breaker bar, I then went to a crowbar in the wheel to the swing-arm and a new breaker bar 32mm socket and a long metal pole on the breaker bar. But stopped it looked like I was going to rip the spokes out doing it.

Help please.

thanks

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Did you flaten the lock washer first? There should be a lock washer under the nut where an end or two is bent over to keep the nut from coming loose when you ride. If all else fails, try an impact wrench (that is what we use on inner clutch hub nuts).

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
I don't think it is a reverse thread. My YZF wasn't a reverse thread, so that is probably your problem. Impact wrench is the best way.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Thanks for the input. called the shop and they'll put the impact wrench on it. I'll take it in in the morning and pay the $14.00 to be done with it. My last bike was a open class monster and that bike only used a ring clip to hold the sprocket and I never had any problems in one full season of racing. This YZ design is down right over kill if you ask me. They is no need for a 32mm nut on the counter shaft.

I'll use a little grease on the shaft with the new 14 tooth sprocket.

thanks again.

Top Bottom