TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Chevy Duramax/Allison and wanted some opinions on covers for the bed. I don't want a topper, just a hard or soft tonneau cover. I want something I can get off easily by myself to run a bike or two in the bed for quick rides, etc. What do you guys think?

Tommy

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I just got an Extang for my '04 Silverado. My local 4x4 shop suggested I get the Classic Platinum series, and they were right, it was just what I was looking for. Drilling (or any tools for that matter) wasn't required for install. The tail gate can be opened and closed without un-snapping.

www.extang.com

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i've been using an extang soft cover too. i'll never have another truck without one.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
I have a soft tonneau cover with the snaps. It rolls out over ribs across the bed. It is too much trouble, won't get another.

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
Bringing this up again...do you still like the cover?

CaptainObvious said:
I just got an Extang for my '04 Silverado. My local 4x4 shop suggested I get the Classic Platinum series, and they were right, it was just what I was looking for. Drilling (or any tools for that matter) wasn't required for install. The tail gate can be opened and closed without un-snapping.

www.extang.com
I am looking for a retractable Tonneau cover and hoping to hear from the sage's of this site. Since this thread is 'older', would you change your recommendations on product?
Gracias, Amoeba's
Ken

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Funny. I've been investigating what cover to get for my new rig. I thought I wanted a retractable but then it's a bunch of little pieces which in my book means more potential things to break and they take up the front part of the bed with the canister. I knew I didn't even want to mess with a soft cover because to me I'm looking for space I can lock up. The one piece deals are also nice but you have to deal with removing them if you want full access. Again not a great solution for me if I decide to get something big and I'm not close to home. So a panelized system seems like the way to go for me and after a lot of digging and reading I think the BakFlip G2 is the way I'm going to go http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/

If I was OK with a one piece cover and wanted more weatherproof protection then I'd go with the http://www.undercoverinfo.com/

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
i really like that g2 one but you couldnt see out your back window with that thing on. but other than that it looks great. thats the first thing im getting when i get a truck is just a soft snap tonneau cover.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think the idea of it covering the rear window is that it's only with you have tall objects in the bed that would be blocking your view anyway.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I have an Extang on my PICKUP and it works just fine. Looks wise, I love the way the hard covers look, but you can't beat rolling up a soft top if you actually use your PICKUP on a regular basis. Imvest in a scrub brush for cleaning them though. They get dingy really fast and a soft brush is the only way to get all the dirt out of the little grooves and such.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Oh yeah, anyone else cuss like a sailor when you're trying to re-snap a soft cover back on if the temp is anything lower than 70 degrees? LOL They don't stretch worth a damn.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Only because I love you man.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Green Horn said:
Oh yeah, anyone else cuss like a sailor when you're trying to re-snap a soft cover back on if the temp is anything lower than 70 degrees? LOL They don't stretch worth a damn.

When you take your cover off, store it indoors until you are ready to put it back on. If you store it at room temperature, it will stay pliable long enough for you to get it snapped back on.....even in sub-freezing temps.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom