the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I'm planning a little Nor Cal trip this year for either enduro ... since they are both about 7 - 8 hours away, which would be the most bang for the buck ?
What is terrain like at both ?
Which would be the most memorable ?

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
The Cowbell is held at Middle Creek campground, just above Clear Lake. The WFO is held at Fouts Springs (aka Stonyford). The WFO is run on the eastern side of the Mendocino mountain range while the Cowbell is run on the western side of the same range. The topography for the WFO contains some steeper, longer hill climbs/decents when compared to the Cowbell. Both events provide challenging single track trails. The Cowbell is run earlier in the fall, and is usually dusty where the WFO is later in the year, and usually has wet conditions.

In my opinion, the Cowbell is the easier of the two events by a slight margin. At least that has been the history, with the WFO having some fairly sneaky timekeeping with some really tight sections thrown in for fun. The person who has laid out the WFO in the past will not be doing it this year, so I am not sure what the personality of that event will be for this year. Both events are fun with the weather dictating the difficulty of the trails. I might add that the Middle Creek area can be a real challenge insofar as water crossings are concerned if it rains. This could significantly alter the difficulty comparison of the two events.

Take your pick. If you want more info, email me. I am pretty up on all the enduros in D36. I hope you decide to try one, they are both great rides.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Bigbird said:
I am pretty up on all the enduros in D36.

Kinda like saying Earl Schibe has painted a car or two. :nener:

Eric, like all the NorCal enduros, the weather can play a large part in how good the ride is. I usually do better at the Cowbell, but I really enjoy the WFO. The WFO normally requires you to be on top of your timekeeping game.
Aim for the first one in the schedule, & if you cannot make it go to the next one. You cannot go wrong with either. Don't forget what I said about the Buckhorn/Shasta Damn enduro.

If you ride enough of these D-36 events, you may end up relocating...... :laugh:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I defnitely remembered what you said about the Shasta. As luck (or lack thereof) would have it I'm tied up that weekend. So it's cowbell or WFO. Sounds like WFO might be more fun, at least from yours and 'Bird's descriptions.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Just make sure to come up for the Sawmill Swim Meet, er Enduro, at Middle Creek in April.

I haven't ridden either of the enduros but I normally ride Middle Creek and Stonyford - you can't go wrong with either one. The weather is the biggest factor for either area IMO.

Brian

Top Bottom