cr 125 wont run

CR SLATER

Oct 14, 2008
hi, got a 98 cr125, went out yesterday come back was fine trying to start it today and it just wont run!

it kicked in once and it was makin a strange ticking noise that sounded like it was coming from downpipe, then shut off! has not run since just keeps backfiring every now and again, had the plug out and seems like there is abit of gear oil getting there i think! :think:

also had top cap off today to replace gasket and piston seems slightly loose in the bore :coocoo:

any ideas? Thanks alot....Chris

Core87

Jul 4, 2006
I would probably make sure it has spark and fuel for a start, then look at the reed valve, I had a broken reed once and had similar symtoms to yours.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
i would start to look at the ignition magneto... to see if it´s loose... then clean the carb..
is the top end ok? other than the clearance? maybe a broken ring? or loose exhaust valve?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Pull the cylinder. There's a possibility the piston skirt may have broken causing the noise and rocking piston.

CR SLATER

Oct 14, 2008
Core87 said:
I would probably make sure it has spark and fuel for a start, then look at the reed valve, I had a broken reed once and had similar symtoms to yours.

its getting plenty of fuel and it has a good spark, once its been kicked a few times and then take the plug out again its soaked! had a look at reed valve today its a boyeson one, and one side was abit damaged.

CR SLATER

Oct 14, 2008
helio lucas said:
i would start to look at the ignition magneto... to see if it´s loose... then clean the carb..
is the top end ok? other than the clearance? maybe a broken ring? or loose exhaust valve?

the top end looks ok, but exhaust is also filling up with fuel? :think:

CR SLATER

Oct 14, 2008
_JOE_ said:
Pull the cylinder. There's a possibility the piston skirt may have broken causing the noise and rocking piston.[/QUOTE

going to put a new piston kit on it anyway to be safe, what piston should i use?

CR SLATER

Oct 14, 2008
one more thing guys, one time it backfired it sounded like something shot out the exhaust and hit the garage wall! dont know if its just me haha, or if this could happen.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Possibly a piece of piston skirt? Be sure to go through the power valve pretty meticulously, something may have come apart there also.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
do you have a service manual? i will suggest you to get one before repair the engine... will be a great help... even before you order something...

do you check the magneto? o loose one could cause ticking and also backfire due the wrong timing...

if the reeds are damaged you must replace it...

CR SLATER

Oct 14, 2008

to be honest its my first bike and i dont know much about them :(

whats the magneto?

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
Otherwise know as a stator. Yours will be on the left hand side with a cover ,possibly a grey one. The stator is, as said above, a set of wire coils. As the bike runs a magnet spins inside the stator inducing an electical current in the stator. That current is an AC (alternating current) current. From there it goes to the rectifier which is a set of diodes that convert the AC current to DC (direct current) current. Then there's the regulator which is a circuit that controls the DC voltage output of the rectifier so that you will charge, but not overcharge, the battery, and also continue to run the electricals on the bike.

CR SLATER

Oct 14, 2008

i think its best if i take it to a shop and tell them fix it lol :laugh:

Thanks alot for your help guys :cool:

Apr 30, 2007
Just be prepared to hand out quite a bit of cash! Most shops will do a decent job, but check things over to be sure that nothing looks very odd.

CR SLATER

Oct 14, 2008
justalonewolf007 said:
Just be prepared to hand out quite a bit of cash! Most shops will do a decent job, but check things over to be sure that nothing looks very odd.

What do you mean?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…