Mar 25, 2008
Y'all,
I am rebuilding my forks on a 2001 CR250R with Twin Chamber Showas and was wondering. after I fill the inner chamber to the proper level and bleed the forks the book says to stroke the rod to full travel to blow off the extra fluid and drain this "Blown Off" fluid out of the two holes near the top of the inner chamber followed by further drying of this area with compressed air. Well my question is, If that upper area is supposed to be relativetly dry of oil then what happens when the bike is laid over (Like crashing which I do alot of LOL) and the oil from the outer chamber passes by the holes, I know the outer chamber oil has to be getting in these holes just by gravity alone, Also, people say I can add oil to the outer part of the fork legs to resist bottoming through the bleed holes, How is this possible? the bleed holes go right into the top of the inner chamber where there is not supposed to be any oil. Im really hoping someone will help me out with these issues because im stuck scratching my head trying to figure this mess out.

Thanks, Stuart

Vet-C #4 Florida's FTR Hare Scramble Series

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
XXX Adrenaline Spo said:
Y'all,
I am rebuilding my forks on a 2001 CR250R with Twin Chamber Showas and was wondering. after I fill the inner chamber to the proper level and bleed the forks the book says to stroke the rod to full travel to blow off the extra fluid and drain this "Blown Off" fluid out of the two holes near the top of the inner chamber followed by further drying of this area with compressed air. Well my question is, If that upper area is supposed to be relativetly dry of oil then what happens when the bike is laid over (Like crashing which I do alot of LOL) and the oil from the outer chamber passes by the holes, I know the outer chamber oil has to be getting in these holes just by gravity alone, Also, people say I can add oil to the outer part of the fork legs to resist bottoming through the bleed holes, How is this possible? the bleed holes go right into the top of the inner chamber where there is not supposed to be any oil. Im really hoping someone will help me out with these issues because im stuck scratching my head trying to figure this mess out.

Thanks, Stuart

Vet-C #4 Florida's FTR Hare Scramble Series

don't take the book too serious! you have to drain it because trapped oil will be added to the amount you fill in the outer chamber.
yes, you can add oil through the bleed hole and yes the oil will reach this area of the outer chamber while riding.
so just ignore "drying with compressed air". of course you can do that ;)

Top Bottom