Mar 25, 2008
Y'all
I was wondering if someone could please explain and answer a couple things for me.

1. Is it OK if I turn my forks upside down to remove the rebound adjuster?? I know doing this will cause oil to get in the two holes near the top above the compression piston.

2. When Oil DOES get into the two holes above the aforementioned piston, How does it get dissplaced back out into the outer chamber?? During my dissasembly and cleaning (and following instructions in the book) I bled the inner cartridge then installed the cap/compression adjuster and stroked the shaft the full length to "Blow off" the extra oil, even after doing this I was looking thru the holes and compressing the damper rod and do not see how the oil once trapped in there would be displaced by the piston because it never raises high enough to displace the oil. I hope someone will please explain this to me.

Thanks, Stuart

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
yes, you can invert it to pull your rebound adjuster. oil should not come out of your inner chamber because of the rubber seals inside.

the oil in the inner chamber and the outer chamber do not mix together. you fill your inner chamber to standards and when you are finnished assembling your forks back together you must fill your outer chamber to specs. They are seperate chambers that do not apply to each other as far as oil swaping. hope that helps you.

Mar 25, 2008
Thank you for your reply but Im wondering how does the oil get displaced from above the compression piston, Not just if I turn them upside down, but as an example, How does the oil get forced into the outer chamber if I add to the level from the bleed hole on top of the forks?? Im wondering this because I dont see how once oil is trapped in the upper part of the damper it gets out because the compression piston doesnt rise high enough to force it out, atleast not as I see it anyways

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
XXX Adrenaline Spo said:
2. When Oil DOES get into the two holes above the aforementioned piston, How does it get dissplaced back out into the outer chamber??

there is no need! this chamber belongs to the outer chamber and it doesn't matter if there is oil or air in it. you should drain out the oil after bleeding the inner chamber, I have explained it on your other post.

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
think 1. you don't trust me
2. you can't imagine where is the inner, where is the outer chamber. maybe this helps:
www supercross-online de/Z/cartridge.htm

insert dots above!

Mar 25, 2008
I DO trust you im just trying to understand this, I did drain the oil from this area after bleeding and "Blowing Off the Excess" but what happens when more oil gets "In There" such as during backflips (which i dont do), Crashes, falling over, inertia on the fluid getiing "lift" from a jump or whoops making the fluid "slosh" Im just trying to get a FULL understanding

Thanks, Stuart

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
XXX Adrenaline Spo said:
Thank you for your reply but Im wondering how does the oil get displaced from above the compression piston, Not just if I turn them upside down, but as an example, How does the oil get forced into the outer chamber if I add to the level from the bleed hole on top of the forks?? Im wondering this because I dont see how once oil is trapped in the upper part of the damper it gets out because the compression piston doesnt rise high enough to force it out, atleast not as I see it anyways
The area above the compression piston is part of the outer chamber as it is connected by the bleed holes.

The oil doesn't need to be in a certain spot...its exact position at any one point doesnt matter...all that matters is the empty air space of the outer chamber is filled with the right amount of fluid. The fork will act like a big pump/vacuum as it operates and will distribute oil around with these forces along with sloshing, bouncing, crashing, and backflips.

Mar 25, 2008
Thank you for your reply James, Im getting a little more understood now, Ok what about the oil in the inner cartridge that gets forced up thru the piston on the bottom of the fork cap? doesnt this oil end up in the top where the small (About 8 inches long) spring is? Also if im trying to add oil to the outer chamber thru the bleed hole on the top of the forks how does it work its way out of that area and into the OUTER tubes if the oil is in the chamber above the compression piston?

I just want to know how this thing is working but dont have the $$ to goto a racetech seminar. :bang:

Thanks again, Stuart

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
The air bleed hole on top of the fork cap goes into that area with the spring which is connected to the outer tubes by the bleed holes that you use to drain excess oil bled from the inner chamber.

Once the inner chamber is properly bled, no more oil leaves the inner chamber into the spring area (for purposes of discussion). It goes there while you are bleeding it because you are "bleeding" out the excess.

If you look closely at it next time you have it apart it makes sense. The safe assumption is that oil will travel like air and if you can bleed air out of the outer chamber through that screw on top, you can add oil to it through the same hole. It will go where it needs to go.

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
James said:
...because the inner chamber is sealed. maybe you are confused about there is coming oil out of it while bleeding. when there is more oil in the inner chamber than it should be the piston lifts more than normal and is reaching a point where it is no more sealed. then the excess oil bleeds out

Top Bottom