whizzit

Feb 6, 2004
Hi, I just recently bought a '97 CR250r. Supposedly it has only been riding for the past two years, not raced. I rode it twice last weekend and it ran pretty good I guess...haha its my first bike.

Anyways I wondering instead of doing all the stuff in the manual (which I will do sooner or later anyways) some things I should check into sooner then others. Change the transmission oil, check/replace air filter, etc. I'm going to work on it this weekend so I'd just thought I'd try to check the more important stuff first.

Also could any tell me, or give me a link to info on the 97 cr 250's? I think I read somewhere its the first year the put out the aluminum frames, and they're pretty rigid, and something about the forks.

Thanks a lot for the help in advance, I tried searching for this stuff but didn't turn up anything that really answered my questions.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
You should clean and oil the air filter every single ride. Or at the very least, every other ride. I change my tranny fluid as soon as it changes to a dark color, which is usually once a month.

The first gen CR frame is brutally stiff. That motor is one of the greatest Honda have produced, however.

-pace

Caper007

Apr 1, 2004
Hey I just bought a 97 cr 250 aswell. Mine needs a bit of work such brake pads and chain and sprockets. Hopefully it should be trail ready by the weekend.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Caper - check the pins that the go through the brake pads, also. If they have any grooves on them, it's time for some new ones. The stock Honda brake pads are pretty good, btw.

Also, the'97 came with a 49 tooth rear sprocket, but later years have a 50. The 49 will let you hold gears a little longer and shift less, but the 50 will give you a little lower first gear for really nasty trails.

Top Bottom