CR CEET graphic kit peeling off

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
My CEET graphic kit on my CR is starting to peel off up near the gas cap cause of gas eating away at the glue. My question is there anything I can do so my graphics will stick to the tank again? Thanks for any help...:(

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
If it was leaking from the cap that would be my first thing to replace but when I pour my gas in the tank sometimes some gas will leak alittle out of the top if I fill it to high when I put the gas cap back on. The graphic were starting to peel off alittle right where the gas tank bends. I was thinking maybe grip glue might work (?):think

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
Go to your local auto parts store and buy some 3m adhesive. Super 77 I think . Anyway my cousins bike did that and we peeled the graphic back and cleaned it with alcohol. Then we sprayed some adhesive on and let it get tacky. Then just press it tight to the tank, problem solved. Do not use too much adhesive though or it will come through the slots in the tank graphic.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Thanks cweingartz will try on cousin's old bike and see how it does :D

simon1

Oct 15, 2000
i've got ceet graphics aswell and i dont think they are very good quality.my rear fender is peeling after the 2nd ride

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
My brothers '95 CR125 just had a whole new set of CEET graphics installed. In less than an entire ride, they are peeling like a wet band-aid. He cleaned everything with alcohol before applying the graphics. Glad he's not the only one experiencing this. For $60.00, you'd think it would be better.

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
My cheap $24 Factory Effex graphics on my kdx have held up for mor than a year now. I dont think I will ever get ceet.

dix

Nov 24, 2001
Try cleaning the exposed surface with denatured alcochol before trying to re-glue the decal. This will remove any oil and grime from the plastic, giving you a clean surface for the adhesive to bond. The 3M stuff works well, but not as good as the edhesive the decal originally came with. It's a bit of a half-hearted fix! Anytime you put new graphics on your bike be sure to use denatured alcohol, as it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue.

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
My CEET grafics ar ethe best i spill more gas than anyone and mine are still on theri actully mine have been on their for about 4 years now :) with only minor peeling:silly: but i think ill try that 3M77 stuff too

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
You could also try any brand of cyanoacrylate. Super Glue, Krazy Glue, etc. Cyanoacrylate is impervious to the damaging effects of gasoline and oil. Your plastic tank is porous, so you'll have to clean it REALLY well before you try to glue the graphics back down. Pre-mix has oil in it, yanno? I've had great results with the following procedure:

1. Drain all fuel from tank and allow it to sit for a couple of days (uncapped).
2. Clean graphics surfaces with isopropyl alcohol or lacquer thinner. (Be careful with the thinner--it will dissolve plastic if you use too much.)
3. Apply PPG brand polypropylene primer to the graphics areas and allow to dry thoroughly.
4. Apply new graphics.

The only problem with 3M 77 is that gas will eventually dissolve it. 3M 8080 is a better choice, but is still susceptible to dissolution.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
what a waste

All that crap for graphics and it does not even help you go faster or even make the bike last longer.

I would rather buy two new rear tires for the same price as graphics.

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
I've seen a number of flames on this site about CEET graphics. Before I was a member here I bought a set and I'd have to agree with everybody else that says they suck. I meticulously cleaned the (brand new) plastic I had and one side stuck pretty good but the other side came off after just a few rides. I'd never buy CEET graphics again.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
but yet again

Originally posted by cweingartz

Well said.

I am the guy who gets the top dollar chain (ya know the gold one rated for 500cc) even though I ride a 125. Frame guards ect. so being cheap has noting to do with it.

But hey for any of you serious riders that grip the bike with your legs, you may want to take a look at that 3m gripper tape. It holds up great and is only 1.98 per foot and will protect your plastics better then and graphics will.

I though my gripper job looked quite stupid but since then I have seen about 4-5 people useing it.....lol Hopfully not for the look but for the grip!

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
Just bought some N-Style graphics and haven't even riden the bike yet and they are starting to lift. Cleaned eveything down really good, even used acetone per Eric Gorr's advise. I'll try the 3M trick and see what happens.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Two words-Throttle Jockey. This is a small operation that does Team Hondas's graphics. Great stuff, and if you have a problem, they will stand behind the product. I'd recommend them for your next set.

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
Cyanoacrylate (super glue) seems to be doing the trick. Bike is still in tear down mode so I won't know for a while as to how long of a fix this will be.
The stick um was even starting to peel off of the graphic it self, let alone the plastic. Is this common with aftermarket graphics or did I just get last years reject pile?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…