Thumpdaddy

Mar 13, 2005
This is the opposite post to CR gearing as he is looking for tight trails. I have an 02 and ride Ocotiilo Wells wich has a variety of open sandwashes and some technical single trail stuff. Stock gearing is 13/50 and I went to 13/48 which still finds me looking for 6th gear occasionally. I was thinking of going with a 14/50 or a 14/48. Anybody out there have any experience with the 14 front and what do you recommend for the rear without robbing too much of the hit and having to clutch it all the time? Also will a stock chain be long enough for a 14/50 set up?

g_man80

Nov 30, 2004
I have a 2000 CR250 which was stock with 13/51. I went right to a 14/48 combination. Essentially it would be like going up 2 teeth in the front, which is a pretty big jump. The only time I find I need to use the clutch a lot is in tight woods. It's real nice for open roads or I guess dunes in your case. The dunes may require a little more grunt then the hard rocky ground I ride. My stock chain worked fine, but I had to grind down the case guard about 50% where it was closest to the chain.

It isn't quite as snappy as before, but I kind of like. It provides nice smooth power and if you need a hit just grab a gear and clutch it real quick.

I thought stock on the '02s was 13/48? If so you could definitely pull a 14/48 combo. Just a thought. I'm sure I might be off on the stock gearing.

Good luck. :cool:

Thumpdaddy

Mar 13, 2005
Thanks. I just bought the bike from another party and assumed the 13/50 that was on it was stock so I bought a 48 for the rear. I think I will just jump to the 14 in the front and try it out for $15

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom