CR horror story!

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
My sons 2001 cr 125 broke the con-rod last Saturday.The rod broke 3 holes in the cases,both front,and rear into the gearbox.Both cases are damaged too much to be repaired,and the cylinder is only useable as a doorstop,as is the crank,off course.It puzzles me why this happened,jetting wasnt lean,and theres no sign of excessive heat,or lack of lubrication anywhere!Engine hours is around 45,and the previous owner has taken real good care of the bike,any ideas as to why this happened?
This is gonna cost me a LOT of money,so if any of you guys have a spare engine,or a set of cases etc. lying around,let me know,ok?
Also if any of you can tell me where to get the best deal for parts,or a complete engine,let me know........THANKS!

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Im not sure about anything,lol!The damage to the piston skirts looks to be from hitting the flywheels,It doesnt look like a piece of the skirt was the first thing to go.....

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
viking how fast is the boy?a top rider should only go around 25hours on a rod.What oil do you use as a premix just out of interest?

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Marcus,I guess he would be one of the faster guys in the c-class right now,not much racing going on for the rest of this season.The bike has always run the top Denicol oil,we use 40-1.The piston havent seized,nothing looks to have been too hot,no "blue" big-end.The track was heavy wet sand,but again,piston crown and plug didnt look like lean jetting at all.Took it to my dealer yesterday,he also had the impression that the rod snapped without any thing else being wrong.Just bought the bike from him a month ago,and he offered to help,with no labour charge,and supplying parts at his own net price!Mind you,net price here in Denmark is still about 33% more than say,ServiceHonda,so the bill will be big!I heard the phone call he had with Honda,so I know hes not joking about the net price.Im still looking for a complete motor,but I dont think Ill find one! :whiner: Oh well,its all part of the fun of being an MX dad,I guess....

2000SE

May 7, 2002
I raced a CR80 for about 3 yrs..never pro or anything but did win trophies..and never changed a connection rod

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
In -99 the biggest talent ever in this country,had the same con-rod in his yz 80 for 192 hours,before changing it just to make sure.....

TFR

Oct 25, 2000
Marcus is right. I usually tell people you can get about one season out of a 125 or an 80. A 250 about two seasons. If you get more than that you're lucky, if you ride a lot you'll get less. If you chose to ride an RM125( nice bike) you'll get about half that. I'm not cracking on Suzukis my daughter rides one. That is one of the prices you may pay by pressing your luck. If you're lucky the crank will just lock up and the cylinder is still OK. You've just found out the hard way the worst that can happen. Sorry. JIM-2fastracing.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I love it when people agree with me:)now if only the other 16000 members fall into line;)

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
He,he....I fully understand the need for things to be as new as possible,when you use the bike to the absolute limit,the top guys rarely pays for it all by themselves,anyway!Still think its abnormal for a rod to snap like ours,when nothing else is wrong...So,any of you guys know where I could get some parts at a fair price?I know about Servicehonda,and PlanetHonda,where else?
Marcus,do you know any dealers inside the EU,with on-line deals for Honda?

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
wow 25 hours? What about for trail riding? I've put about 50 hours on my 97 rm since i bought it. And, what in particular cause the rm's con rod to sign off early?

TFR

Oct 25, 2000
It's been a problem since '99. I know of a lot of '01 RM125's that came from the factory with too tight of rod side clearance. They are set at about .017. I've seen them as tight as .011. I rebuild them with a Wiseco Hot Rod Kit set at .020 side clearance. They seem to last longer than stock. On my daughters bike I check the side clearance at every top end change. When the side clearance gets to about .024 I rebuild it. I do replace the piston more than most though too. About every 4-6 hrs. She races a lot of big national races and I don't want to drive 20 hrs to DNF. JIM-2fastracing

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yeah it terminates the engine doesn’t it? I had a rod break on a road race engine with about 5 hours on it. I was not real impressed as I hit the ground.

Suspecting a manufacturing fault I was sworn off ‘Long’ brand rods, but in fact it may have been that it was built with too much clearance causing the big end to walk sideways enough to catch putting massive strain on the rod. Never did hear back from the chap who pressed it up. It’s only been 13 yrs. Wonder where he is now?

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
what a drag! I'll keep a eye open for you on parts. might be cheaper to buy the whole bike.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Yeah,Ive thought about buying a -98 or -99 cr,maybe we could use the wheels etc.Any of you guys know how much difference there is engine-wise,and with interchanging the wheels and so?I know the top end is different,ports in the block on the older bikes are smaller,and the power valve system differs,but can you put the whole 2001 top end ,with powervalve system on ,say a -98,if you match the ports to the cases?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The 99 wont work easily as the 01 exhaust wont fit properly on the barrel-it requires a special exhaust fabricated.I think the 00 used bigger axles than the 99 but im not certain.I know someone who had a few cases laying around i will e mail him.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
his reply is this:

i have one side, not sure which
and i have some internal gears and new bearings i think
will check

hopefully he has some more bits for you-are these bits any use?

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Im certainly interrested,Marcus!Do you know the year of the case,or how important this is?What I meant in an earlier post,was if I could use an earlier block with a 01 top-end?I know the pv arrangement is different,but maybe the whole assembly fits an older block?

nzfred

Nov 22, 1999
have a chat to bbr, they might have some old cr engines from when they were making cr/yzf's.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Buy the cases as a set,don't buy 1 side and another from 2 different places.

2000SE

May 7, 2002
SO, you guys are saying that my 97 CR250 that goes through just regular riding on a practice MX track and maybe one D class race every 3 months and has never had a connetion rod replaced is well overdue?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…