Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
Ok, I replaced my wearing clutch in october last yr with a hinson basket and ebc clutches. (2000 cr250) Well, it seemed to be a fine setup, but lately it seems that no matter how I adjust the clutch it drags just a little bit. It is not noticable on the road or on hard ground, but anywhere else you can just barely feel it. It bothers me. I took it apart and the fibers look fine, but the plates on the inside,(closest to engine) Seem to be wearing slightly. I really do not want to replace another basket,(which has no wear, the paint has just been wore off a little where the fibers hit in places) and I dont want aluminum plates(stock calls for 2) or kevlar fibers(barnett). I heard someone say that EBC fibers swell sometimes, could this be the problem? WIll it go away? So my question is, has any one run all steel plates and fibers(stock stuff)? for my bike calls for 2 alluminum plates. Is that ok to do? I am a "clutch abuser" and can see I will have the thing wore out by mid summer, and I am If I order the stuff now, I can slap the new stuff in when the EBC stuff goes bye-bye.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by Joepro9
So my question is, has any one run all steel plates and fibers(stock stuff)?

FYI, I ran steel plates and EBC fibers plates in my 98 w/out any problems. Did you check/replace your springs at all? When do you notice it 'dragging', w/the clutch in or the clutch out? If its slipping with the clutch out I would suspect the springs.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Joe, I run the exact combination you are referring to. I have a Hinsen basket with stock fibres and all steel plates. Works great! I would try going back to stock fibres with stock steel (all steel) plates.

ZSHOW821

Sep 23, 2002
How old is the clutch cable? Try a new clutch cable. I had similar problems with the clutch dragging after installing a new clutch. Cables do wear out and stretch.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
cable was put on new with the clutch. Although I might replace it again, for it is cheap and can never hurt. I notice it most when I an getting what I call, low traction. (not roads) the bike will not move if turned off with the clutch engaged, it youst too. Some one though maybe its an oil issue(beside slight visible wear I saw we I tore the plates out) The springs were new also, it was a kit, all new stuff. For I forgot I used a different brand of oil that I usually use. I usually use penzoil 10-40 or honda 10-40(dad gets it from work cheap) but I didnt have any and my friend is a castrol freak. He gave me a bottle of castrol 10-40, I rode once before with it in on a previous ride, but it was all roads, and I cannot feel it dragging at all on the road. It puzzles me that it has the visible wear at only this old on the plates. It was not acting like this before, but the only thing I can see now that would be causeing this is the oil, because it kind of "just started"
Anyone run m-12 rear with s-12 front,? this dunlop 606 sucks arse(got it for free)

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
and as I said, I am hard on the clutch, but would expect it to last longer, when I bought the bike the clutch had alot of wear(all stock clutch), but still took my abuse for another yr, untill I put the EBC stuff in.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Different oils do have varying effects on different bikes. Go back to your normal oil and try again...maybe as simple as that. For what it's worth, I run Synthetic ATF in mine and it works perfect.

M12 are good, as are the S12. I like the S12 rear better than the S12 front, but both seem to wear very well. The MS12 works well, but seem to wear faster.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
i would of thought the s would wear faster than the m, thats why i was going to get the M, of course I do alot of roads, that why I though the S would wear faster. I will try my regular oil tomorrow, O gonna feel dumb if that the problem. I also gonna see if my dad can get a case of atf(he works at honda dealer,cars) Why type tho, most pll run f right?

Jim Havins

Oct 30, 2001
Joepro...Your problem is not with the oil, it is with the combined length of the actuating rod and collar. It's slightly short...my guess is you have a hard time kick starting while in gear. This might go away as the clutch wears but you can fix it by putting a very small shim inside the collar to lenghten it. It won't take much as close as yours is now, maybe 0.020" would be my guess but it's only guess. I've had to do the same thing twice before on a '99 and an 02. I use key stock, clamp it in a vise, and cut a small sliver off. Use a hard material so that is doesn't crush.........

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
I took out my fibers and soaked them in oil and switched back to penzoil, and the problem seems to be gone. I also went to a 14 tooth front sproket, its hard to get her going without slipping the clutch alot, but after that the gears are longer and in the ares I ride I dont have to shift as mouch, maybe it will help my habit of clutch abusing. :)

ram1

Dec 12, 2002
Hey Joe, I live in Portage, near Ebensburg. Are there any good riding areas down there? Everytime we find a nice place to play, cables, ribbons, and signs, appear overnight here. Anyplace down there to play? E-mail me if you want motocross066@yahoo.com Later..

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
On my 2000 CR(E)250 I rebuilt the entire clutch back in July. I replaced the inner hub, outer hub, pressure plate, fibers, steel plates, and springs. All stock parts. A Hinson basket is a nice investment for the CR since they require more clutch abuse to get rolling to start with. CR clutches have a problem with not enough oil getting to the clutch plates, the Hinson parts are drilled and fix that problem. The other way to fix it is not to abuse the clutch. Change the gearing to better suit the terrian your riding. I don't like big gaps between my gears so I used 13/51 tooth gearing and it worked great. I abused the clutch less since I brought the hit on sooner in the gears. I always used ATF type F. (note: DO NOT ever use Mecron/Dexron. They are not the same at all! M/Dexron is slippier and will cause havoc.) I never had a dragging problem with my clutch on any of my bikes. If you didn't replace your springs, replace them. They get sacked out too. I replace them everytime I do a clutch.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
actually it was the oil, I ran 13/51 and now 14/51, the 14 seems to be a little longer gear, I like it that way, but its a little too much. I might try going back to stock, 13/50 i think, since It had the 51 rear on it when I bought the bike.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom